VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I just encoded the second disc of "From the Earth to the Moon" from HBO pictures with DVD2OneX. This disc has four episodes on it and is over 3hrs long. Too my suprise the output is not only acceptable, but great. Of course I can see a block here and there in shots that have a full screen of flames or something, but the average person probably couldn't tell the difference from the original. If you have a Superdrive or equivalent don't even think about it, go buy this software right now! You will not regret it. Up until now I was capturing video throught a canopus advc-100 and converting to mpeg, then building a new disk in DVDSP to get good in sync results and fitting what I wanted on one disk. This program turns about a 9 hour job into less than a 2 hour job including ripping, compressing, and burning(4x DVR-105). One more time, buy this software, you won't be sorry!

Happy Day,
    Bradley

P.S. I think this made me happier than the (possible) upcoming release of PowerPC 970 Mac will, and that says a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  2. My credit card is itching the tips of my fingers but... In the demo version I cannot figure out how to select specific audio and subs, there is no check box like the windows version am I doing something wrong or is this only a demo issue?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You click the button Audio and Subtitles at the bottom, and a tray slides out the side of the main app window to give you selections for audio and subtitles.

Just a note on DVD2oneX quality: if your movie and selected soundtrack(s) are 4.47gb or less, DVD2oneX will merely do a direct stream copy of the video with no additional compression, resulting in an exact copy of your movie with selectable audio/subtitles in tact, and original chaptering. This is for the movie-only option.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I know where the button for the audio and subtitles is I'm not a moron, however when the menu comes out I can see all the audio and sub tracks but I cannot select specific ones i.e. no boxes to check as I stated in my previous post. So In hopes that someone can give me a real answer I will simply ask the same question again:

Is there a way to select specific audio or subs or is the lack thereof related to the demo version.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The highlighted ones will be the ones encoded. To highlight more than one use command or shift clicks (can't remember which). Everything that is highlighted in blue will be encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CaseyComb
    I know where the button for the audio and subtitles is I'm not a moron, however when the menu comes out I can see all the audio and sub tracks but I cannot select specific ones i.e. no boxes to check as I stated in my previous post. So In hopes that someone can give me a real answer I will simply ask the same question again:

Is there a way to select specific audio or subs or is the lack thereof related to the demo version.

Dont get pissy. You highlight the options you want. Let go of the notion of a check box for everything. There are no check boxes elsewhere in the app -- Why would they suddenly appear there?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry, I apologize
    Quote Quote  
  8. You click so it is highlighted in a darker blue, then it turns to grey to indicate it is selected (needs some work). I found that it handled HP Chamber of Secrets well but failed pretty bad on Apocalypse Now Redux giving me all kinds of visual artifacts. Must just be too large a title or like someone said it has trouble with flames, waving trees and darker scenes. Reminded me of a bad night of watching Direct TV on a big screen. This is definitely one for the arsenal but I think Discomvobulator+ will have it's place also if they get all the quirky surprises ironed out.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just made a nice copy of Clockwork Orange with menu an all. DVD2oneX is just the best

I can trash all those other bloody apps now. In the trash you go [gone]
    Quote Quote  
  10. Did my final test with DVD2one or DTOX is what they are calling it over their forum. I must say. On movie mode only the quality is awesome, I couldn't tell the original from the copy. Full copy mode of course will not give as good as a result, but way better than DIVX mode, and its a DVD, that can be played on any DVD Player. No more synch problem, or using a ton of apps, tweaking left and right and waiting for hours on end to finish. Instead of 20 hours your done in a couple....amazing. This application ROCKS!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Just bought DVD2ONEX and its awesome! I used DVD Backup 1.3 and copied ALL of Zoolander, then opened the VIDEO_TS folder it gave me in DTOX. Chose Disc Copy and it took about 35 minutes on my 12in Powerbook! Burned it in toast and it looks great! While watching actual movie, I cant even tell a difference in quality, but while watching extras (deleted scenes to be specific), you can tell a difference, but they werent that good of quality in the original...menu, chapters, etc. all works great! This is definately worth the money...I cant believe it actually worked...it was too easy!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you people set it on DVD+R(W) setting? Or your own bitrate?

Q
    "Good Luck 007"
    In Memory of Desmond Llewelyn
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD2one encoder engine was originally created for a PC, so cut Rene and Erwin some slack on the virgin OS X release. They basically had to rewrite everything, and even bring in a new guy on the GUI. If you purchased it today, you're entitled to all the updates in the version one chain. Now that they've been successfully rallied to produce an OS X version of their software, lets all now look forward to improvements (in line with the PC version), instead of nitpicking on "blockiness during fire" and "there are no check boxes!"
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by qshartle

Q

In the PC version, setting your own bitrate was helpful in situations where when I backed up Queer as Folk season two, DVD2one(PC) failed to cram everything into a DVD-R -- it was a HAIR over the max for Toast. I just reset the 4472 default to 4172 and everything was fine.

I tried encoding things at ridiculously low bitrates, for experimentation purposes only, at like 2.5Mbps (aka standard SVCD). The results were so awful, I puked. I don't recommend you go there.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Not to burst anyone bubble but... I have done a few tests w/ DTOX and had a few problems.

Memento SE simply wont work in DTOX, still getting encrypted data using dvdbackup

Conan The Barbarian, a bit more sucessful but getting invalid entry points. If you try to skip past the universal logo after attempting to play the film.

And if you try to skip ahead in chapters somewhere around the 13th one it will just freeze altogether.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AntnyMD
    Originally Posted by qshartle

Q

In the PC version, setting your own bitrate was helpful in situations where when I backed up Queer as Folk season two, DVD2one(PC) failed to cram everything into a DVD-R -- it was a HAIR over the max for Toast. I just reset the 4472 default to 4172 and everything was fine.

I tried encoding things at ridiculously low bitrates, for experimentation purposes only, at like 2.5Mbps (aka standard SVCD). The results were so awful, I puked. I don't recommend you go there.

well there is a reason.. its not ENCODING it dropping frames to reach the desired "bitrate" you can only drop so many frames in a video b4 u reach unavoidable problems
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Actually, B, it appears to use a combo of methods It does some GOP tricks, as well as some macroblocks re-compression.

You can only shave about 25% off with B-drops and broken GOPs.

As for Quality issues etc...

In movie only mode, its not that bad. Saying "I can't see the difference' woud be a bit of a stretch, but on a normal tv, it certainly will fly for most of the peeples, most of the time.

I'm going to give the godfather from the boxed set a whack. that thing (along with breakfast at tiffany's (ok, i'm a sissy...bite me)) uses every bit of dvd there is to use. Its a great transfer.

I commend the porting effort on the core. It does what it says.

It just doesn't seem to play nice wrt Multitasking, but this will probably be worked out.

All in all, a nice tool. For normal users tho, *some* hint on how to get the dvds onto a harddrive might be helpful

-K
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm new to this, so can someone explain how I get a working DVD after I have the VIDEO_TS folder from DVD2ONE. The first one I tried to burn by copying the folder from the HD to the blank DVD image and hit burn in the finder. When it was done, there was a DVD with a VIDEO_TS folder but it won't play using DVD player or in my stand alone Pioneer player.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hi all.

I use a 8.7 GB DVD as my test DVD.
    So far the best results I had was using a pc emulator and DVD Shrink (I never tried DVD2one on pc).

I used DTOX to compress only the movie and it looks great. To my eyes its a lot better than the one I had with DVD Shrink.

So I'm happy with it, even if I had to pay more than I was expecting. Since I'm european I had to include the VAT to the price...

But that's ok. As soon as my kids destroy a copy instead of the original it will be paid.

Oh, one more thing. The compression fase took ~22 mins.
    I'm happy!

Pepe
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm new to this, so can someone explain how I get a working DVD after I have the VIDEO_TS folder from DVD2ONE.
    I'll try...

First thing, how did you "import" the DVD to the drive?
    You cannot simply copy it, you need to use something like DVD Backup. Check versiontracker.

It's a good idea to always include a blank folder on the DVD called "AUDIO_TS", some players expect it to be there.

If you are using Disk Copy you could try to make a DVD master, I'm not shure about this since I use Toast. (On Toast just chose DVD and drag the folder containing the "AUDIO_TS" and the "VIDEO_TS" folders on there).

The DVD name should be all caps and no spaces (use '_' instead).

Hope this helps.

Pepe
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CaseyComb
    Not to burst anyone bubble but... I have done a few tests w/ DTOX and had a few problems.

Memento SE simply wont work in DTOX, still getting encrypted data using dvdbackup

I also just did Memento from the limited edition, because I hate the menus on that damned thing. Did you try skipping through every chapter in every title on the disc? That seems to help. Also, some DVDs are just more difficult than others, and decrypting them with DVDBackup doesn't always do the trick. I've found for those especially challenging disks, DVDExtractor in OS 9 hasn't met a DVD it couldn't tame. Even though I launch the full 9 to use it, I think it also works in Classic.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    :::::SPEED INFO:::::

I am doing ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS on my Dual 867 and it is just as fast if not faster than my AMD XP 2200+ Machine that I've been using DVD2ONE on for the past 2 months or so. I am very impressed with how they have maintained the speed of their core in this port!

Here's a screen shot... btw, I never got movies to complete in under 20 minutes on my PC (again and XP 2200+ with 512MB DDR RAM using WinXP Pro)

You'll notice from the screenshot that both processors appear to be being used. This is good and I was unsure if they'd include this in the first OS X release. I can look at the processes too next time and see what the % is.

I was still able to do things like browse the web and stuff, but I do notice the taxing of the processors as is the case on the PC version (can't hardly do anything on the PC when DVD2ONE is going) so I expected for it to slow up the Mac quite a bit, but it was less than I thought and the speed is faster on my Mac (with the DP) so I am very VERY impressed and surprised! I was NOT expecting this to come out!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow, that image looks quite pixellated (sp?) but I assure you the numbers aren't tampered with. I have no affiliation with DVD2ONE so I have no reason to make the program look better or worse than it does on its own. I simply had to compress the image under 50k to get to post it on here
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One more thing.. (sorry!)... anyone know of a good program to make jacket pictures (the JACKET_P folder) from a single picture?

I remember a program that you could use (basically a webscript) where you uploaded a photo on this person's website and it would do the conversion and then you downloaded the output photo to where it would fit. It was used for background images for VCD's and I found out about it on this webboard...

How great would it be to upload a photo and then download a zip of the JACKET_P folder??? then include that folder in TOAST with the VIDEO_TS folder and BAM! you've got instant jacket pictures!

Kai_Cherry? sound worth-while to you? If so, I'll send ya $50 contribution to get you started... I'm sure it'd be easy to do, but I'm not the guy to do it, so I thought I'd ask...

btw.. if there's already a program to do this, I'd love it if someone emailed me.. (post on here to so others can see)

dannyzumwalt[at]mac[dot]com

LAter!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by CaseyComb
    Not to burst anyone bubble but... I have done a few tests w/ DTOX and had a few problems.

Conan The Barbarian, a bit more sucessful but getting invalid entry points. If you try to skip past the universal logo after attempting to play the film.

And if you try to skip ahead in chapters somewhere around the 13th one it will just freeze altogether.
    Make sure you are using the latest version of DVDBackup (v1.3). Previous versions had a bug that caused certain parts like the logo/intro not to be decrypted.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by DannyZR2
    One more thing.. (sorry!)... anyone know of a good program to make jacket pictures (the JACKET_P folder) from a single picture?

Kai_Cherry? sound worth-while to you? If so, I'll send ya $50 contribution to get you started... I'm sure it'd be easy to do, but I'm not the guy to do it, so I thought I'd ask...

btw.. if there's already a program to do this, I'd love it if someone emailed me.. (post on here to so others can see)

dannyzumwalt[at]mac[dot]com

LAter!

I'm not sure I follow you. I'll look into it tho. We are quite busy

Also...what kind of times are people with *single* cpus getting? On my PB 17" its not that speedy (like an hour for the compression is where the estimates fall) on large DVDs, especially if you add in the backup time. And I use something I ported from linux to do this...no gui overhead.

-K
    Quote Quote  
  27. You cannot simply copy it, you need to use something like DVD Backup. Check versiontracker.
    I used DVD Backup and also tried OSeX.

It's a good idea to always include a blank folder on the DVD called "AUDIO_TS", some players expect it to be there.
    I did not try this. I wil try a burn with an AUDIO_TS folder.

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm new to this, so can someone explain how I get a working DVD after I have the VIDEO_TS folder from DVD2ONE. The first one I tried to burn by copying the folder from the HD to the blank DVD image and hit burn in the finder. When it was done, there was a DVD with a VIDEO_TS folder but it won't play using DVD player or in my stand alone Pioneer player.
    I think there's some confusion about redrider650's post. The way I read it, that person is asking how to take the resulting VIDEO_TS that DVD2OneX has created, and burn it to a blank DVD -- not how to use OSeX or DVDBackup to rip files off a source DVD.

Toast is a commercial software that many people use to burn DVDs and other disc media. (www.roxio.com)

MissingMediaBurner is freeware that performs many of the same functions. (http://homepage.mac.com/rnc/)

Can DVDs be burned successfully using Apple's Disk Copy? Never worked for me... I use Toast.
    Quote Quote  
  29. We'll have a simple drag-drop util up sometime today to help with this, based on mhisofs.

In a nutshell, Yes you can use Disk Copy to burn DVD-Video, but not from the Finder.

DVD-Video disks are formatted a special way. Rather, the *data* (IFO's and VOBS) must go onto the dvd in an exact order (by LBA) or settops won't play them.

I don't actually use toast...its flakey. I simply drag the folder with my dvd structure in it (MY_DVD, which contains a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS) onto VideoTSISO and it makes a DVD-Video compliant .iso that can be burned with disk copy.

Or with anything else that burns Disk Images.

-K
    Quote Quote  
  30. I think there's some confusion about redrider650's post. The way I read it, that person is asking how to take the resulting VIDEO_TS that DVD2OneX has created, and burn it to a blank DVD -- not how to use OSeX or DVDBackup to rip files off a source DVD.
    That's exactly what I wanted to know. I will look into Toast.
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!