VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to capture some old U-matic tapes to DV using a Sony VP-7020 deck and the Canopus ACDV100 unit.
    The audio sync is very poor.
    i see that the VCR has a seperate sync input.
    What do I need to do to get good sync
    Do i need a TBC?
    Do i need an external sync unit and if so please gice me an example
    Thanks.
    Paul
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not an expert on capturing matters, but I do know my U-Matic machines. You cannot lose sound sync from a U-Matic VCR, or any other VCR for that matter, so your problem lies in the computer side of things.

The sync connector on your U-Matic machine is to lock the VCR capston to an incoming sync source, a kind of genlock for a vision mixer etc, so this connector has nothing to do with the sound.

Sorry I cannot solve your problem but I hope this points you in the right direction.

( For those who wonder what a U-Matic vcr is, it is a .75" wide seme-pro format in the mold of the Betamax format, but plays at a much faster speed giving very high quality results and was born in the late 1970's. )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your expert reply
    MY U-matic VCR has a skew control in addition to tracking. Adjusting the Skew control seems to have an effect on the audio sync. Is that normal?
    If it is is there a magical way of adjusting it?
    Also as you are an expert what do the frame control and CTL settings refer to?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Skew control is a method of adjusting the tape tension for playback of tapes recorded on other U-Matic machines, and should be in its normal position (centre) for tapes recorded on the same machine. (Interchange was poor on early VCR,s). The effect to the sound of this control is the machines servo locking up to a new setting, if you look at the picture you should see a small sideways motion of the picture as the head drum also locks up. Modern VCR's do this so quickly you hardly notice. Although the sound may alter during this setting, the picture also alters and the two always remain in sync. In fact they cannot get out of sync in a VCR.

I am not too familiar with Sony versions, ( I worked with JVC's) but I think the frame and CTL settings are for timecode versions on a sony edit control unit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am in your debt thanks a lot.
    I once lived in Glasgow for a few years, here are you?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am in Falkirk, about 25 miles east of Glasgow. Glasgow Collage of technology is where I worked for 13 years running the CCTV dept, with U-Matic and other machines.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Been to Falkirk a couple of times years ago. I loved living in Scotland.
    Thanks again anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Did you manage to solve your Umatic problem? I have a SONY VO-9850 and a tape shows stuttering symptoms. I tried adjusting the skew, turning off TBC and DOLBY NR but to no avail. I guess it's just a bad tape.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/p3buhd
    Quote Quote