VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I filmed on a party, I got it as mpeg2 on my hdd right now.
    But it's to big to fit on cd (2500 MB), So I need to cut it chunks of 700 MB.
    How can I do this under Linux? To be sure I DON'T want to reencode the mpeg but only cut the movie file in pieces

thx in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to check this: https://www.videohelp.com/edit

The Edit section is right over there <- <- <- <-

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  3. well seems to me all windows programs I really need *nix tools
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by waxweazle
    well seems to me all windows programs I really need *nix tools
    Damn! Borrow a friends machine? Good luck!
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  5. All my geekish friends run some kinde of unix flavor There MUST be tools for it, I know for sure
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, mpgsplit from the mpgtx package - http://mpgtx.sourceforge.net/ can maybe do this. The manual page for the 1.1 version I have here names this still experimental:
    mpgtx can split and join MPEG files in various ways. Three
    file types are currently handled (more to come): MPEG 1
    Video files, MPEG 1/2 Audio files (mp1, mp2, and mp3),
    MPEG 1 System files (audio and video files), MPEG 2 Pro*
    gram files (Experimental), MPEG 2 Transport files (demul*
    tiplex and info modes only). mpgtx is a GOP (Group of
    Pictures) based editor. This means that mpgtx cuts MPEG
    files on a Group Of Picture basis, not on a frame-by-frame
    basis. A typical GOP duration is about 0.5 sec (approx. 15
    frames), limiting the maximum accuracy of mpgtx.
    but maybe the newer 1.3 version gives more capabilities for mpeg2.

Another idea could be to demultiplex the file, and then to remultiplex it with mplex (mjpegtools) and an adjusted -S value. Here, I am nor sure if this requires that an -S option has been used previously within e.g. mpeg2enc or if it will work with a 2500 MB file without such sequence boundaries set ( I think it needs an sequence-header at the cut - position, but since I always use mpeg2enc with "sequence-header every GoP", it was not an issue for me yet)
    Adrian
    Quote Quote  
  7. great shadowcat, usefull stuff
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    buddy i have da solution to ur problems ... i used to use linux too for running dedicated game servers and for tarring rar files DA RIGHT WAY (without dose new windows tools like PowerArchiver which just cant do da same job) ... however, when i wanted to use windows i had another PC wit it installed, so i never had any problems, but ma friends did tell me bout a windows emulator for unix/linux called wine or somethin ... run a search on google ... it seems to be da BEST one out dere and RUNS EVEN BETTER DAN WINDOWS (since ur still runnin linux in background and linux speeds up all applications and for da first time, windows IS an application)! ENJOY man no problem ... and yes i AM a nerd ...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Try Kavi2vcd (google will find the URL)

This software will split across the number of VCD's you specify.

HTH
    Rileyelf
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no no no **** kavi2vcd, and especially **** ma last recommendation which was using da emulator wine ... now herez what u really need ... get dvtool (for windows, linux/unix, and mac) and it can support files of up to 10 GB, and it actually rewrites da headers of all da MPGs it makes to compliant (S)VCD formats, so even if ur player cant read SVCD, XSVCD, CVD, or anything higher dan VCD, dis will do an automatic header trick on it! and u also wont have to check off da CREATE COMPLIANT CD in nero to burn it cuz nero will accept it as a compliant file ... u get da point! da speed of dis thing is bout 5 mb per second on ma computer when im cutting, so ur file should be cut in less dan 4 minutes (not to mention i have a celeron 400 hz) ... ayt now go enjoy ur new LIFESAVER and thank me in ur dreams ...
    $ P3R514N - 4 - L1f3 $
    Quote Quote  
  11. Have I missed something? How is the header trick going to fit a 2.5Gb file on a 700Mb disk?
    What he is trying to do is get it into VCD sized chunks. Kavi2svcd is a gui for a number of the stanard Linux Mpeg tools, one of them has the facility to input a large mpeg file, tell it cow many disks to span. it will then split it up for you, and burn it on the requested number of CD's

Rileyelf.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dont be a moron man ... y dont u read da whole fuckin post ... ur stupid program supports 2 gig files, mine goes up to 10 gigs ... ur stupid program can burn, i dont need dat stupid feature when i have Nero AND VCDEasy to make chapters or menus for me too ... ur little program is only for linux, mine is for all platforms ... ur little program only cuts mpg files, mine cuts and joins among 40 other features, as well as it rewrites da header of EACH ONE OF DA FUCKIN PIECES IT HAS CUT FROM DA BIG FILE ... next time u wanna make a jackass outta urself, learn to talk english first ... dis extra HEADER feature can make ur smaller mpg files dat are now ready to be burnt (mine are always in pieces of 795 mb cuz das da most u can fit on a 80 min vcd or svcd without overburning) compliant wit da standards of either vcd, svcd, or dvd (without touchin da video and its properties .... so if ur makin kvcd, and ur burnin program is givin u error messages, u can just fix da header to vcd, and not only will ur burning program accept it, but if ur player supports vcd, it will also play it ... even though anything higher dan vcd might not be supported ...

dont be a fuckin moron ... like dis is ma job ... derez no need to compete ...
    $ P3R514N - 4 - L1f3 $
    Quote Quote  
  13. First off I would ask you to refrain from the profanities and personal attacks, I was neither attempting to belittle you, or your knowledge, simply pointing out that he is using LINUX not WINDOWS so Nero is a complete misnomer in this forum.

Second, I'd like to point out that Linux no longer has a 2Gb limit, the EXT3 file system it is now 2Tb (effectively unlimited). (I regurlarly throw 6Gb + uncopressed files around)

Third, on your first post you mentioned DVTool, now you speak of VCDEasy, both of which are fine tools, I have used both in Windoze, but where can one find Linux versions of them? I have searched high and low, no sign of either for any 'nix flavour. If you do know of 'nix versions, please...PLEASE post some URL's.

Actually, the feature you speak off would be incredibly usefull to me now you have explained it better, I do have an issue with buring programs rejecting files larger than 700Mb, which makes my plea for you to post links to 'nix versions even more salient.

Regarding your comment about English? all I can say on that subject is, grow up!

Just thought I'd mention, if you reply with more insults and profanities I will dismiss you as an immature troll and not rise to your flame bait.

Rileyelf.
    Quote Quote  
  14. use mplex , make sure that you end with :

thefilename %2d.mpeg this will cut every 700mb you r movie in parts .
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can also use the fastest most flexible MPEG cutter for Windows (Win32) called Dikumcizer, which just came out 2 months ago, so DVTool has a run for its money. DVTool is freely available too (besides, 0.6 doesn't possess that many features over 0.53 anyways, especially speed, because they're both the same in that field) .... so when you really think about it, as a Windows user, you either go for DVTool (for its GUI, acceptably fast speed, and no size limit) or Dikumcizer (for its command-line interface, unrivaled speed, and limitless features, including size) ... You can get the newest version of DIKumcizer from the same website that constantly publishes the new version of DIKO (the best avi-to-mpeg conversion program on the FACE of the planet), www.kvcd.net ... After all, if you're going to put video on CD (or these days, DVD as well), you WILL eventually stumble across that website and all its guides and tools. BIG THANKS goes out to Kwag and VMesquita for their software development feats that have gone the extra mile in free support and updates! That's all ... Peace Out, A-Town!
    $ P3R514N - 4 - L1f3 $
    Quote Quote