VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

I noticed a thread on this back in 2007 so thought I may ask again to see if any resolutions were found since then. Basically, intermittent sound on MiniDV playback through the camera - so this is nothing to do with any transfer to PC - the actual camera. The recordings were done on a Canon MV830 and I am trying to playback on a Panasonic NVDS60B. Video is excellent (even though the tapes are old) but the sound is really patchy (in then out etc.). Would cleaning the heads on the Panasonic make any difference - bearing in mind I do have tapes that the audio is perfect on? Is my best bet to try and source an old Canon Camcorder? I have adjusted any settings that I can in the Panasonic, there are three audio options, ST1, ST2 and MIX - tried all three and no change.

Any help will be greatly received as there are lots of fond memories of my children on these tapes!

Many thanks in advance.

TC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    first i'd try a cleaning tape. if it doesn't help then any other miniDV or HDV cam as those are a bit newer, but still able to play miniDV. the heads can be slightly out of spec from cam to cam. some DV decks had adjustable tracking.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    first i'd try a cleaning tape. if it doesn't help then any other miniDV or HDV cam as those are a bit newer, but still able to play miniDV. the heads can be slightly out of spec from cam to cam. some DV decks had adjustable tracking.
    Many thanks for this - do you mean that I need to source an 'older' camera as the Panasonic is newer - or the other way round? I will try head cleaners. Are there such things as MiniDV players - rather than just cameras to playback?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol. you just need to luck into one that has similar head alignment to the original. older or newer doesn't matter. yes, they used to make DV/miniDV/HDV tape decks. rare, expensive and hard to find these days.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    lol. you just need to luck into one that has similar head alignment to the original. older or newer doesn't matter. yes, they used to make DV/miniDV/HDV tape decks. rare, expensive and hard to find these days.
    Oh no... My luck is awful!!! Thanks a bunch Aedipuss.
    Quote Quote