VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, splitting a large video in to equal minutes may be possible with many converter or video editing tools.
    But what i want is ,
    The video of a 2 hour video, splitting it to say , 30 minutes and the remaining last part as the reminder of the last part and keep the file, as one.
    For eg , if the video is of 2 hours and 10 minutes duration, , say 130 minutes, I want it to split the same in to 30 minules and keep the remianing as last splilt.
    Here i get 4split videos of 30 minutes and the remaining 10 minutes as last part.
    The duration may he hr mm ss
    The exact video is dependent on the video running time.
    Here, i want the file to be created should contain athe split videos and part videos but inone file of the same format.
    If the tool is present in the video help forum software section, ple give the link
    edit:
    I want the output lilke this.
    If i open the file, first split, second splilt, thrid split, fourth split and fifth split videos ,will be shown to be clicked if possible.
    If this can be done on a x264 mp3aduio mp4 file
    Last edited by jraju; 1st Jan 2021 at 05:45.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jraju View Post
    Here, i want the file to be created should contain athe split videos and part videos but inone file of the same format.
    If the results are all in one file you are not splitting the video. So what you really want is just chapter points every 30 minutes?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    An alternative is a PLAYLIST.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. It is a bit difficult to understand exactly what it is that you want to achieve, even though it is described in several sentences with different wordings, as each sentence contains confusing or even contradictory statements, all adding up to blur the intended purpose.

MKVToolNix for instance allows to split a video file after specific durations / timestamps, and has an option to “link files”, but if the whole file is split then resulting chunks are all linked, that defeats the purpose of splitting in the first place as noted above by “jagabo”. Unless you want to keep only some of those chunks in the output file, and discard others ? Again, it's very fuzzy.
    Perhaps it would be easier to solve the issue if you could post screenshots, or sum up the intended outcome with a sort of symbolic / mathematical language (for instance : have a 130min file, want to split it into 30 minutes parts A / B / C / D / E, then want to output A / C / E as one single file...).

Re-reading it once again : it would seem like what you want is : split a video file into individual 30 minutes chunks indeed, but only the last part should be split as a larger than 30 minutes chunk and include the remainder of the input file which is less than 30 minutes — 10 minutes in your 130 minutes example, so the 4th and last file should be 40 minutes instead of 30 minutes. Then, if that is indeed what you want to achieve, MKVToolNix also has an option to limit the number of output files, so for instance you may specify a duration of "00:30:00", then specify a maximum number of 4 files, and it should output 4 files, the 4th one having a duration of 40 minutes (in this example). Of course it would only work for files with a similar duration : if a file has a duration of 105 minutes, with the same settings, you get a 4th segment that is 15 minutes (instead of being linked with the 3rd segment as a 45 minutes file) ; if an input file has a duration of 149.99 minutes, you get a 4th segment of 59.99 minutes which may not be suitable (depending on what the actual purpose is beyond splitting video files into smaller chunks).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hI, jAGAbo got my point.
    I reconsidered it, as a correct 30 minute cut would cut the audio also , giving meaning less.
    So, here is what I want.
    The original file , ie large file running about 2.10.40 seconds say, will be split manually to two parts , meaning fully about audio .
    I want both the files may be chaptered, a new to me, individually with a break between the two. So that i view the first part give some interval and then see the other part.
    If both files could be seen as two chapters , if i open, i could click the first file and then the second file.
    Just splitting the files in to two would create more files in a serial that may contain 50 episodes.
    If suppose, it is to be run continuously , then i have to fast forward the play to the desired position, which may be difficult to do.
    In a nutshell, what i want is
    original video file contains , saved as two chapters or whatever be the term, to be saved as single file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You want chapter points within the file. So it remains one file with x number of chapters. No fast forward required just press the Next button as long as the media player remote has it. If you want to split the file, that means 2 or more files (that's what the word "split" means).
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry, I have to split...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Why don't you just use a media player that remembers where you left off? All the decent players have that option.
    Quote Quote  
  9. So is it about splitting videos into multiple parts or making chapters?

If it's about chapters, try:
    Mkvtoolnix-GUI - output tab - generating chapters (chapters in fixed intervals) - interval (00:30:00)
    Quote Quote  
  10. So is it about splitting videos into multiple parts or making chapters?
    My hat to you if you have the faintest idea what this is about after post #5 (and I'm freezing over here so I really could use the hat — actually a hood I have right now).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I thiink repllies could be polite instead of freezing.
    I remember seeing opening a cd or dvd and opening the cd screen, there would be 3 to 4 movies that automatically wait for clicking. If i click the second the second movie plays and then close back to this screen of selection.
    My terminology may be difficult or different , but i will try the mkvtoolnix.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, bady
    I selected up to interval . the next menu is multiplexing. ok
    selected destination folder and then click multiplexing ok
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, bady,
    i have given interval time wrong and fixed it and it created chapters 1 and 2. But while playing video, it just plays normally.
    Could i make the chapters and give a break of say one or two minutes between the chapters so that i could just close the video now and later i could select the second chapter.
    what i want is the output file as one, but the video to be meaningfully cut or split in to two parts of one hour or so.
    i know nothing about chapterisation in video
    Quote Quote  
  14. Pause or close your videoplayer at the end of chapter1 and just select chapter2 later.
    you could add subtitles that display around chapter changes.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jraju View Post
    Hi, bady,
    i have given interval time wrong and fixed it and it created chapters 1 and 2. But while playing video, it just plays normally.
    Could i make the chapters and give a break of say one or two minutes between the chapters so that i could just close the video now and later i could select the second chapter.
    what i want is the output file as one, but the video to be meaningfully cut or split in to two parts of one hour or so.
    i know nothing about chapterisation in video
    I don't know of any player that has a "pause/stop at chapter marker" option.

But once again, why don't you just enable the player's "remember file position" feature? With that you can quit at any time you want and the next time you play the file it will start playback at that time. Most players have that feature. For example Media Player Classic Home Cinema:

[Attachment 56607 - Click to enlarge]

The feature has slightly different names in different players. But it's found in MPCHC, MPCBE, SMPlayer, VLC. Potplayer and KMPlayer have a variation of this where they automatically resume the last video when started.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Jan 2021 at 09:58.
    Quote Quote  
  16. - Pause at chapter end option doesn't exist in any video player to my knowledge.
    - Pause at file end makes more sense, it's the default in mpc-hc for files in a directory...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It exists with authored titles & their players (DVD-Video, Blu-ray). Perhaps that is what the OP ultimately is wanting.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, all,
    Sorry for late reply as I have not received the mail alerts of the subsequent replies.
    In normal usb supported tv, i want a two and half an hour video to be split in to two videos, not by actual splltting of videos but by actually ending at the 1st part of the duration that i fix it and then play the rest without resorting to use fastforward.
    Jagabo, you are right that what i want is chapterisation and i used it.
    But the media i want to play is the tv, media
    Willl the Chapters be shown in a video while playing in TV
    only few menus are available.
    If a video has two chapters, would that be shown in the tv browser
    Will the movie end on the duration of the 1st chapter , so that i can click on the next chapter
    in the same video say mp4file.
    As I said in my previous post, that i have seen a dvd, when i clicked open show 3movie files and i could click on one of the three.
    There is always a way of forwarding your video to the point and continue.
    Chapterisation is what i needed, i think, but will that show as chapters in the tv browser thro usb supported tvs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, jagabo, one more thing, where those chapter will show when running the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect you want it to behave like when you play a DVD in a standalone DVD player, if that is your objective then basically you are out of luck. You could author a DVD and play it in your standalone DVD player or get a high end media player like DUNE or Popcorn (if you can find one). Maybe Nvidia will do it? I doubt if the built in media players in TV's will either show or support Chapters. On you PC there are many VLC shows chapter points along the time line. My Popcorn A 500 supports chapters on both DVD's and Bluray whole disc rips complete with menu's. a limited one in respect of Blu ray but reasonable. I think you are on a quest that doesn't have an outcome that is acceptable.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HI, thanks for the reply.
    Could a video on whole, be divided in to 2 separate segments .
    I mean a kind of two files in a folder, not actually.
    i want it in the videos.
    I am poor at the exact terminology of what is used in video.
    This segment, i came across while using any video converter
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jraju View Post
    In normal usb supported tv, i want a two and half an hour video to be split in to two videos, not by actual splltting of videos but by actually ending at the 1st part of the duration that i fix it and then play the rest without resorting to use fastforward.
    You're not going to find that anywhere.

Originally Posted by jraju View Post
    But the media i want to play is the tv, media
    Willl the Chapters be shown in a video while playing in TV
    That would depend on the TV. Typically you will only see chapter markers when the video is playing and the progress bar shows up (when paused, during FF or RW). Here's MPCHC playing a movie with chapters. The little black dots on the progress bar are the chapter markers.

If a video has two chapters, would that be shown in the tv browser
    I've never seen such a feature.

Will the movie end on the duration of the 1st chapter , so that i can click on the next chapter
    No. The player will just keep on playing.

As I said in my previous post, that i have seen a dvd, when i clicked open show 3movie files and i could click on one of the three.
    There is always a way of forwarding your video to the point and continue.
    DVDs are not video files. They are entire system of menus, navigation, and audio/video files. All DVDs and all DVD players must conform to the DVD secification. Of course, all that complexity is hidden from you while playing a DVD. MP4 files don't support such features.

Chapterisation is what i needed, i think, but will that show as chapters in the tv browser thro usb supported tvs
    I'm not aware of any system, computer, standalone player, or built into a TV, that shows chapter markers while browsing.

The closest thing you're going to find is a DVD/BC ISO image (as suggested by Cornucopia) with each segment as a separate title (not chapters). But your TV probably won't play ISO images.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Jan 2021 at 20:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the kind reply jagabo.
    Your clue I read and will try in due course of time
    Yes ofcourse, samsung tv does not support the iso format as you say.
    Thanks for alll the replies.
    So, i think there is no way to make segments of the whole video in to two parts and play what we want.
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jraju View Post
    Yes ofcourse, samsung tv does not support the iso format as you say.
    It probably doesn't even support resume. The players built into TVs are very poor in features.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Jagabo,
    if i could not , do what I want, can i have a blank screen of 5 minutes , of the same size, say pixel, of black colour with all original aspects lilke frame rate speed etc. vlc or any video converter or any other program.
    I mean , if the video timeline is 2 hours, can i have a blank black screen of the same height and breadth of the video, with nothing written pitch black running video for five minutes so that the original timeline increases to 2 hours and five minutes or , whereever i want the blank video in the timeline
    Last edited by jraju; 4th Jan 2021 at 22:06.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Yes, in theory you could split the original video into two parts, then join them back together (without reencoding) with a 5 minute black segment between them. Getting the black segment encoded with similar enough settings to join may be tricky though. It's much easier if you're willing to reencode everything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can I. Have
    The title song playagain in the middle portion of video instead of black. Will it solve original aspects in everything. Please say how icould do that
    Quote Quote  
  28. Sure. Just copy the title song, then paste it into the middle of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  29. As stated by jagabo in #26, the difficult issue is joining the black video section with the rest and keeping the file playable, without having to re-encode everything.

If you can use the (end) credits instead of a black frame, it isn't actually difficult (because the encoding parameters will match).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    please say how in any video converter or in vlc media player
    Quote Quote