VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey everyone,
    So the PC I built back in 2008 finally died. About a year ago. I am sick to death of not having a real PC and having a giant full ATX brick in my house. Was working (with issues) when I put in storage. When I took it out of storage it refused to boot. Pretty sure the mother board is dead.
    I am looking to keep the case (and maybe the PSU) as ATX cases with multiple slots for optical drives and 3.5 inch HDs seem hard to come by these days. Both are very important to me.

I am basically looking for the 2020 equivalent of my old PC. But not really sure what that would be.
    Here are my old PC's specs

ASUS M3a78 AM2+ Socket MB
    AMD A64x2 7750 @2.7GHZ
    8GB RAM
    GeForce 9800GT 512 GDDR3 PCI-E 2.0 (Though the card died quickly and I just used onboard video. Probably what I will do initially with the new build and add a car later.

Not really a PC gamer. Still on PS3 if that tells you how into video games I am. Just looking a basic, cheap build that isn't a complete lightweight. Again, the modern equivalent of my 2008 build. Would like to play Dead Rising 3 and 4 on it at some point. But that's about it.

Here is what matters to me in a new build
    Six or more sata ports preferable
    At least one IDE connector on the MB
    Several USB 3.0 or 3.1 ports
    Dual band wifi. Built in or a card. Need that 5GHz band
    HDMI and DVI out. Preferably a VGA port also.

Any Motherboard and CPU suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dafoe View Post
    I am looking to keep the case (and maybe the PSU) as ATX cases with multiple slots for optical drives and 3.5 inch HDs seem hard to come by these days. Both are very important to me.
    You should probably replace the PSU.

Originally Posted by dafoe View Post
    Here is what matters to me in a new build
    Six or more sata ports preferable
    At least one IDE connector on the MB
    Several USB 3.0 or 3.1 ports
    Dual band wifi. Built in or a card. Need that 5GHz band
    HDMI and DVI out. Preferably a VGA port also.

Any Motherboard and CPU suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    IDE connectors disappeared from motherboards some time ago. Your other requirements can be met.

Do you still prefer AMD? If so, you will need help from someone else. I haven't closely followed the news regarding AMD Ryzen CPUs and motherboards.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sounds like an AMD APU would be perfect for you, I had the opportunity to use a modest 2200G not to long ago, and I have to say it was pretty impressive,

In fact, i am waiting for the Zen 3 based APU's to be released before building a small form factor.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay. I've been super busy. I would prefer AMD. But it's not like Intel would be a deal breaker for me. I used Intel before. This is actually my first AMD rig. I wouldn't touch Apple products with a ten foot pole, for example. But I would buy Intel if the value was right, even though I'm not crazy about the company.
    I did look at the CPU that was mentioned, The problem I have is that I have no frame of reference. I don't know how that compares to top level Ryzen CPUs or what on even is. I bought a little mini Dell PC off ebay (dirt) a while ago. It's a core i5. Not super impressed by it.
    Just kind of lost on what a mid tier rig is these days. Might want to do a little video capture too as my DVD recorder died and I have a bunch of VHS I am digitizing. Was thinking i5 or i7 with 16GB ram. But I don't know if that's overkill or not. Seems like it might be.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to consider replacing the CMOS battery on your old motherboard. Depending on how long your PC was in storage, the CMOS battery might have died.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my parts list for a mid-range Intel desktop system based on a Comet Lake i5. Windows 10 is required for this build unless you can get this Windows 7 installer to work for you. I put everything in the list except the wireless cards into PCPartpicker's System Builder and they checked out OK. The memory was in Gigabyte's supported list for the motherboard

Intel Core i5-10400 Comet Lake 6-Core 2.9 GHz
    GIGABYTE H470 HD3 ATX Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory CMK16GX4M2A2666C16
    Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OEM
    TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000 PCIe WiFi Card or Gigabyte GC-CI22M_A CNVi WiFi Wireless-AC Upgrade kit (note that the TP-Link card requires Windows 10 64-bit)

You may be able to get a better system from AMD for the same money that meets your requirements list. I don't know enough to pick a CPU and motherboard for you.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Dec 2020 at 21:43. Reason: Corrected memory to match what I typed into PCPartpicker
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I was in your position last year.
    Was using a 10 year old Win7 desktop.
    It finally died.

I recycled my SSD, keyboard/mouse, and monitor
    and trashed everything else.

New case.
    New MB & CPU (Ryzen 5 2600)
    New RAM 16GB
    New Power supply
    Win 10
    GPU 1060GTX

I love having a new modern desktop.
    Trash your old junk and move to the future.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    This is the site to pick a new build
    https://pcpartpicker.com/
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I remember you as lacywest. Welcome back!

It is going to be confusing trying to help two different people with a new build in a single thread. Maybe you could ask Baldrick to split this into two threads?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Jan 2021 at 11:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mach1016 View Post
    Hey there guys ... I use to be Lacywest
    Do you remember me
    Yes.

What I'm asking is help with choosing a reliable AMD mobo and a decent AMD CPU to go with it for decent gaming.
    As most of us did ... I did get my $600 stimulus check.
    Is $600 the budget?
    Less?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mach1016 View Post
    Hey there guys ... I use to be Lacywest but I haven't been here in years and I no longer have access to the email address I did use back then.
    I want to build a new PC.
    I currently use a MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 (MS-7309) mobo from 2012 that has a AMD Phenom II X6 1050T CPU in it.
    and 8 gigs of DDR2 ram. Plus a EVGA GTX 1060 6GB video card.
    I like playing games on the side. I have a bunch of them.
    Back when I was building pcs in 2005 to 2012 ... I saw a lot of bad mobos with bad capacitors.
    My question is asking you guys what AMD CPU to get in this time period and a reliable mobo. I like MSI.
    I use Windows 8.1 with the Media Center to record TV shows.
    I do have some ATI HD tuner PCI-E cards ... I have 2 for sure.
    I use a HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card to listen to movies in DD 5.1 but it is not PCI-E.
    I will have to upgrade my sound card to PCI-E.
    What I'm asking is help with choosing a reliable AMD mobo and a decent AMD CPU to go with it for decent gaming.
    I do believe I want to get a good ATX tower and ATX mobo. Makes it easier for the video card to breathe, I don't want a tight fit in a M-ATX tower.
    I do shop / buy at Newegg, Amazon and Ebay.
    I am in the process of upgrading my video card to a EVGA RTX 2060.
    I don't need a Tower with led lights ... I watch movies ... no distractions Please LOL
    Needs room to add my ATI HD tuner and my HT Omega sound card ... both will be PCI-E
    As most of us did ... I did get my $600 stimulus check.
    So guys ... how can you help me.
    Baldrick ... Do you remember me ? ... I use to be Lacywest ... I posted a lot of answers & comments years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX4Jrhlp9Co&t=2s
    Yep! I have PM you a new a password for your old account.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @lacywest - I have an ATX case suggestion, which is available with or without a window: https://www.newegg.com/black-be-quiet-pure-base-atx-mid-tower/p/2AM-0037-00023

The case has 3 HDD cages and 2 optical drive mounts but two more HDD cages can be added if needed: https://www.newegg.com/p/1W8-00VV-00004
    Quote Quote