VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Yes i went to there website but still don't understand it.

For instance. I have John Wick 2 4k on my hard drive the rez is 3840x2160 for some reason if i select matroska in handbrake it moves the rez to 3840x1600.

Why is it using that rez? That is from a pre-set in handbrake.

Now i already used this setting to encode john wick one but when i open it up in hand brake where it says Source Movie name 3840x1600 (3840x2160)

Why does it say the other rez in parentheses ( )

I'm just trying to encode some of my collection to save space to play back in 4k on my PC.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by JBAA; 16th Jul 2019 at 19:18.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by JBAA View Post
    Yes i went to there website but still don't understand it.

For instance. I have John Wick 2 4k on my hard drive the rez is 3840x2160 for some reason if i select matroska in handbrake it moves the rez to 3840x1600.

Why is it using that rez?
    Because Handbrake crops away the black borders by default.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Simply put, Matroska is a container file format which can hold multiple audio, video and subtitles streams.

If you want to retain the original 3840x2160 UHD resolution, turn off Handbrake's auto cropping feature.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. So if you remove the black bars you get the rez of 3840x1600 ? Is that still UHD.

What is the point in cropping the black bars wouldn't that affect the video when played later.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JBAA View Post
    What is the point in cropping the black bars wouldn't that affect the video when played later.
    My God!, there's only a few things in life that set me off, this is one of them hehe.

Have you ever thought... Why do I want to encode black bars? It's not part of the picture... Why would I want to do that? When you see things like '1080p' '720p' etc, it's not referring to the vertical resolution in an exact manner, it's referring to the maximum vertical resolution.

Handbrake is pretty amazing, if you don't understand what it is doing then just 'trust it'. Choose the preset you require, load in your file, and go!
    Load in your "John Wick 2 4k", allow it to process it as "3840x1600" if that is what it suggests. Enjoy the results!

Try it and see! Any problems then please reply/repost.
    Happy transcoding...
    Last edited by video.baba; 17th Jul 2019 at 06:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Have you ever thought, "who cares if you encode black bars?" True steady black should yield near-zero bitrate. And often, if you already HAVE black bars and intend to keep them, you may not even need to re-encode, thus SAVING quality. Also, since your playback device is going to PUT THE BLACK BARS BACK in order to fit the image properly to the (16:9) screen, seems a waste of time to go to that effort if not absolutely necessary.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 17th Jul 2019 at 07:31.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by video.baba View Post
    Handbrake is pretty amazing, if you don't understand what it is doing then just 'trust it'.
    This statement makes me laugh.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    Handbrake is pretty amazing, if you don't understand what it is doing then just 'trust it'.
    Can you expand?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    Can you expand?
    Trusting that Handbrake will default to the best settings is how so many terrible encodes make their way to the internet. It will choose parameters resulting in ugly video, because the devs deemed them "safest" and noobs using Handbrake won't be able to tell the difference, because they're noobs (that's their logic BTW). The functionality changes with seemingly every release so you never know what it might spew out. Have you ever tried to figure out just what all the inverse telecine (sorry, "detelecine") and interlace detection settings mean? It's impossible to know without rigorous testing, because the documentation is bare bones if it even exists.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    Trusting that Handbrake will default to the best settings is how so many terrible encodes make their way to the internet. It will choose parameters resulting in ugly video, because the devs deemed them "safest" and noobs using Handbrake won't be able to tell the difference, because they're noobs (that's their logic BTW). The functionality changes with seemingly every release so you never know what it might spew out. Have you ever tried to figure out just what all the inverse telecine (sorry, "detelecine") and interlace detection settings mean? It's impossible to know without rigorous testing, because the documentation is bare bones if it even exists.
    Interesting... Well it seems we have our wires crossed a little here. When I made my comment I was referring to the screensize/autocrop and the confusion the OP had about the vertical size difference, nothing more. As for all the 'detelecine' options etc... yes I do know what the mean, but on the other hand, I certainly understand what you mean too. But hey, this is for another thread
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by video.baba View Post
    Originally Posted by JBAA View Post
    My God!, there's only a few things in life that set me off, this is one of them hehe.

Have you ever thought... Why do I want to encode black bars? It's not part of the picture... Why would I want to do that? When you see things like '1080p' '720p' etc, it's not referring to the vertical resolution in an exact manner, it's referring to the maximum vertical resolution.

Handbrake is pretty amazing, if you don't understand what it is doing then just 'trust it'. Choose the preset you require, load in your file, and go!
    Load in your "John Wick 2 4k", allow it to process it as "3840x1600" if that is what it suggests. Enjoy the results!

Try it and see! Any problems then please reply/repost.
    Happy transcoding...

That makes sense i guess but wouldn't a UHD player like a xbox stretch the video to make it 3840x2160 or would it play it as is.

Them black bars are there for a reason!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. player would just add those black bars IF your TV is 16:9

The point of taking black bars off is, it does not matter what screen resolution there is, whatever shape. Video will be fit in there with only bars up/down or left/right, if screen(monitor/phone/internet player canvas) shape does not fit video shape.

If you play letterboxed video (with black bars included), you might end up seeing black bars all around.

Letterbox video is for official devices and their official formats (DVD, BD) otherwise is not necessary and you can take them out for above mentioned reason to future-proof it.

Sure there might be device (player/phone/TV whatever) that would fill the screen and distort proportion and it needs to be fixed by user. Just saying neither scenario, black bars or not, is 100% safe.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    Trusting that Handbrake will default to the best settings is how so many terrible encodes make their way to the internet. It will choose parameters resulting in ugly video, because the devs deemed them "safest" and noobs using Handbrake won't be able to tell the difference, because they're noobs.
    Hey man, I'm really interested in what you had posted yesterday. I really like, and have used, Handbrake, for many years. However, I'm also interested in peoples' frustrations of it. I'm working on something at the moment because of my own frustrations with Handbrake. When I get something up and running, using Handbrake, I would really like your feedback/comments.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    If you play letterboxed video (with black bars included), you might end up seeing black bars all around.
    That is only common if the letterboxing was added to widescreen format video so it would display correctly on old 4:3 TVs, but someone is watching it on a 16:9 display. Examples of where this kind of picture formatting is seen: VHS movies, old DVDs and some SD digital TV channels. Blu-ray video and UHD Blu-ray video are always formatted to display correctly on 16:9 display
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote