VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone had total success with one of these converters?

My cable company is promoting a change from traditional cable to an IPTV based system. The change looks like a good idea except that the new receivers do not have a component output. I currently have one traditional receiver connected to a Hauppage HDPVR which requires a component input to get around the HDCP. i.e. I use it to record and store programs.

I've read a number of articles on the subject that quote problems with audio sync, HDCP, streaming services, Dolby 5.1, etc

Therefore, do the HDMI to Component converters work well and handle HDCP?
    Last edited by cottage; 21st Jun 2019 at 11:47.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the past, I have suggested this HDMI to component video converter to a few people: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Premium-Quality-Component-Converter/dp/B017LVMAWG/ Reviews for it on Amazon are positive and one of those to whom it was suggested reported back and said that it had worked. See: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/380175-HDMI-to-Component-Conversion#post2458859 Unfortunately, amazon.ca doesn't seem to have it and I don't know if you can find another source for one in Canada.

Reviews and product description for this one are positive overall and indicate that it ignores HDCP 1.2 and supports HDMI 1.3 (but not HDMI 1.4 and higher): https://www.amazon.ca/Component-Converter-Adapter-Coaxial-Support/dp/B01FX9D57W/

Some reviews for this one indicate that it ignores HDCP but it did not work satisfactorily for everyone. https://www.amazon.ca/Portta-Component-Converter-support-Channels/dp/B00A8FIQXA/

Most of these converters only have stereo audio out. A few, like the Cingk converter linked to above, have coaxial digital audio out as well, so you would need a coaxial digital audio to optical digital audio converter to use one with the original Hauppauge HD-PVR. The Universal Premium converter is the only one that I can recall which has optical audio out.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Jun 2019 at 01:41. Reason: correction
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just today, Engadget wrote a review entitled:

The best wireless HDMI video transmitter

I clicked on their link to Amazon and then read the reviews. Given that there are several thousand reviews, it would be difficult to fabricate this many false reviews. Bottom line: the reviews weren't very good.

I'll take a look at the products posted by "quiet" and see if any of them appear to be more promising.

I'd actually be happy if I could find a wired HDMI device that would let me distribute HDMI via either Cat5 or RG6 to remote locations. In theory, such a device should be more reliable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @johnmeyer,
    In the commercial realm it is done all the time: HDbaseT. Instead of the 3-5meters for HDMI, you can do runs of 100meters. There are many brands, most good, some not. We have tons of those runs on the campus where I work, primarily Extron or Crestron brand, though some are Liberty, Kramer, Atlona (not so good), Geffen.
    There is even a fiberoptic version, which would allow you go to MILES!

There's even a few wireless HDMI boxes that are starting to be reliable enough for commercial use...

AFA the OP looking for HDMI->Component, most of what you'll find is probably old or SD, or no longer legit. I'm pretty sure that HDCP wouldn't allow converting to analog HD component (at least nothing manufactured recently). Face it, the big corporations are serious about closing all those loopholes.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    AFA the OP looking for HDMI->Component, most of what you'll find is probably old or SD, or no longer legit. I'm pretty sure that HDCP wouldn't allow converting to analog HD component (at least nothing manufactured recently). Face it, the big corporations are serious about closing all those loopholes.
    According to their specs, all the converters that I linked to convert up to 1080p input from HDMI to HD component video output.

However, it's true that nobody can guarantee that the HDMI to Component video converters which are still available and ignored HDCP in the past will work reliably with HDMI input from today's newer hardware, or have not lost their ability to ignore HDCP due to redesign.

For what it's worth, I searched the reviews for the Universal Premium Quality HDMI to Component Video Converter for information regarding its use with the Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 and found a couple of relevant reviews and comments. One person was pleased with the converter while another complained that the A/V sync was bad using the converter.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think that I'm out of luck.

The Universal Premium H2CS is the only unit that I could find that converts to component and DD 5.1. However, it doesn't seem to be available in Canada and I have seen the same poor reviews about audio sync problems.

I think that I'll just stick with my traditional cable instead of the new IPTV version. It works well with my Hauppauge HD-PVR.

However, thank you for the very valuable input.
    Quote Quote