VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Team,

New to this forum and new to video editing

I've used a simple Nero DVD writer software way back(10 years ago)

Now there was a family event which a professional video graph-er took HD video of 16GB. For editing and writing to a DVD hes asking $90.

So I wanted to do this myself. I have few questions:
    • As I remember drag dropping less than 700mb to write to a CD, is it possible to compress 16GB content to 4.7 GB and write it so that its playable on a DVD player ?
    • I want to override the default voice(recorded) with movie songs, how can I do this, using any free software ? before writing to a DVD.

Please let me know your advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. is it possible to compress 16GB content to 4.7 GB and write it so that its playable on a DVD player ?
    Yes. But it is not as much the size that matter as the playtime.

how can I do this, using any free software ?
    You could use Audacity to create a audio track and then MKVToolnix to replace the existing audio with the new.

If you want a DVD without a menu or a simple menu author the DVD with AVStoDVD else with DVDStyler.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Kiran View Post
    is it possible to compress 16GB content to 4.7 GB and write it so that its playable on a DVD player ?
    Of course. It will no longer be HD though. DVD is strictly SD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. and then MKVToolnix
    This tool works with only mkv files ? If I have a different source any other free tool ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. This tool works with only mkv files ?
    No. You can use all kind of files as input to MKVToolnix the resulting file however is always MKV.

But since in your case you'll need a reencode it'll really doesn't matter what format is used, eg MKV, MP4, AVI ...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Oh thank you.

Looks like I would get AVCHD Video (.MTS) files from the videographer(not sure yet).
    I tried MKVToolnix dragged dropped 2 of old .MTS files & it was easy to deselect the Audio and add a movie song MP3. No watermarks, thats amazing on the resulting mkv.

But I dragged 2 files, they were not joined to make one video and impose the MP3. Only the first one got converted to mkv.

I'm confused a bit here, so let me list the tasks down I want to accomplish:

1. Add an introduction image/a video(how to make this probably using an existing video and overlay text) like the event name, place etc. ?
    2. Is there a way I can join many such .MTS files add few audio tracks over them ?
    3. Add 1 and 2.
    4. As the video is about an hour and half.. I need to add multiple audio tracks, selecting songs for length 1.30hrs in MKVToolnix would add the songs one after the other ?
    5. So I can convert everything to .mkv and then use AVStoDVD tool to write to DVD for a Indian DVD player ? Went through AVStoDVD beginners and its said,
    "When you first start AVSTODVD set the default DVD standard, north american users select NTSC and European users choose PAL.
    "
    , so what must be selected for India ?
    6. Also
    "4. Under Output can you select to burn, output to a dvd folder(video_Ts), make iso or make a mpeg2 file. I choose the ISO UDF Image. I can then test the DVD before I burn it."
    -> I need to select dvd folder(video_Ts) for auto play once DVD is in the player ?
    7. Once this is complete, how can I make multiple copies of the same DVD ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. But I dragged 2 files, they were not joined to make one video
    To get what I guess you want you need to append the files.

[Attachment 45942 - Click to enlarge]

However you can only append files with the exact same format (properties) else you get an error like

[Attachment 45943 - Click to enlarge]

So you need to prepare your assets. First make the intro complete with its own audio. You can (probably) append the .MTS files but you need to prepare an audio track for it. I would use Audacity for this. Then you can mux it to one file in MKVToolnix.

3. Add 1 and 2.
    No need. AVStoDVD will create a DVD where 2 starts playing when 1 finish.

so what must be selected for India ?
    An Indian player can play both NTSC and PAL. The choice of what to use is usually to select the one where the fps match the source.

7. Once this is complete, how can I make multiple copies of the same DVD ?
    Make an ISO image. Burn as many times you want.
    Last edited by videobruger; 29th Jun 2018 at 08:01.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you @videobruger for the valuable info.

Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    An Indian player can play both NTSC and PAL. The choice of what to use is usually to select the one where the fps match the source.
    So I will know what fps match the source while burning ?

Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Make an ISO image. Burn as many times you want.
    Just to confirm, you suggest write the first DVD in ISO format ? With this format, will the DVD auto play in the player ?

Also I've tried droping few .MTS files(30+) to MKVToolNix and the append option isn't enabled. All are same format.

[Attachment 45945 - Click to enlarge]

Any thing I can do to append the videos ?

Also if I can append 10GB+ of video, where will the compression to DVD size(<4.7GB) happen ? In MKVToolNix or in the DVD burning tool ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. India is a PAL country, meaning 25fps. But, as videobruger mentioned, since almost all PAL country DVD players can play both PAL and NTSC DVDs, you'd be better off making the DVD based on the framerate of the source.
    Quote Quote  
  10. So I will know what fps match the source while burning ?
    No. You use MediaInfo to tell you the fps of the source.

and the append option isn't enabled
    Start by dropping the first file then you can append.

where will the compression to DVD size(<4.7GB) happen ?
    AVStoDVD will convert your files to the format used on a DVD (MPEG2) and at the same time compress them to fit a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ok, I tried appending it worked.

I had difficulty mergint MP3s in Audacity. There was a missing lame.dll which I almost spent 2 hours installing (even did https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/271712-Lame-MP3-Encoder-on-Vista-x64#post2016711)

I am on a Windows 10 machine. Any other way I can fix this ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ok, I tried appending it worked.

I had difficulty mergint MP3s in Audacity. There was a missing lame.dll which I almost spent 2 hours installing (even did https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/271712-Lame-MP3-Encoder-on-Vista-x64#post2016711)

I am on a Windows 10 machine. Any other way I can fix this ?

Also for the intro video 45secs with some text, tried movavi(which is a trail version & not working asks for key), Microsoft Photos(does not accept .mkv), can you please suggest me a free tool.
    Last edited by Kiran; 2nd Jul 2018 at 11:04.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Any pointers please ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. What are you asking? You want the Lame.dll? Here's the Lame_enc.dll:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi @manono, I tried that file, bug got an error message - "You are linking to lame_enc.dll v3.90. This version is not compatible with Audacity 2.2.2. Please download the latest version of the LAME MP3 library."

Hi @jagabo, I downloaded Lame_v3.99.3_for_Windows.exe in the link you've mentioned & it worked(could merge MP3 tracks). Thanks.

One final thing I need is a free video editor. Can you please suggest one.

I tried AVS4you(AVS Video Editor), uploaded an intro video of 45 seconds and appended text one after the other like an animation(Add text provided in the tool). But got a water mark in the middle of the output video. I want such a video without the water mark. Please let me know. If I am done with this, I am good to go to write to a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi @manono, I tried that file, bug got an error message - "You are linking to lame_enc.dll v3.90. This version is not compatible with Audacity 2.2.2. Please download the latest version of the LAME MP3 library."

Hi @jagabo, I downloaded Lame_v3.99.3_for_Windows.exe in the link you've mentioned & it worked(could merge MP3 tracks). Thanks.

One final thing I need is a free video editor. Can you please suggest one.

I tried (AVS Video Editor), uploaded an intro video of 45 seconds and appended text one after the other like an animation(Add text provided in the tool). But got a water mark in the middle of the output video. I want such a video without the water mark. Please let me know. If I am done with this, I am good to go to write to a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Sorry I'm not sure why there are 2 posts getting posted, I just did Post Quick Reply & it said wait for 15 seconds on next page, then I said post, and I see 2 of the same posts. Not getting a way to delete one.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Good to hear you got the Lame filter working. If you will continue using Audacity I'd still recommend adding the ffmpeg filter. It makes it easy to import audio from pretty much any A/V file.

Some simple and free editing tools include VirtualDub2 and AviDemux.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Okay @jagabo, I will add ffmpeg and try VirtualDub2. Thanks for all the inputs.

Will update if I could write a DVD as I planned & guided in this thread
    Quote Quote  
  20. [QUOTE=videobruger;2523045][QUOTE]

However you can only append files with the exact same format (properties) else you get an error like

[Attachment 45943 - Click to enlarge]

Hey @videobruger, as you told, I got the same issue.
    [Attachment 45982 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 45983 - Click to enlarge]

First one is my one of the 150 .MTS files. 2nd one is the intro video I converted to .MTS on convertio.co.

All I want to do is convert the intro video to the matching format as the other. Total bitrate is 25111kbps and 50 frames/sec.

In the tools I could covert the Intro.mkv to .MTS I can only convert to 25frames/sec.

Is there a way I can convert it to the desired format ? Please suggest.
    Last edited by Kiran; 5th Jul 2018 at 04:32.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Or can I directly drag drop the Intro.mkv(25 frames/sec) to AVSToDVD and have the appended video(150+ in MKVToolNix) with 50 f/s dropped as well, will that work ?
    Quote Quote  
  22. The video and audio parameters of your two files are different. 25 fps vs. 50 fps is a problem for simple appending (though this can depend on the program and container used). As is the difference in audio sampling rate (48 vs. 44.1 KHz).
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hi Jagabo,

I used few online tools(downloaded), one of them converted the file to 30fps. Luckily MKVToolNix accepted it(the intro video) and then the actual DVD content got appended.

Used AVSToDVD to generate the AUDIO, VIDEO folders & used ImgBurn to write them. I could successfully burn the DVDs(multiple) which played on a DVD player.

Thanks a lot for the support on this community .
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Note also that if your file is 25111kbps, that is WAY too high for dvd and would need to be re-encoded to fit the spec, EVEN if all other parameters were correct.

Also, if you truly are trying for a dvd, lame is not a good choice, as mp3 is not a valid format for dvd. Try mp2 (using toolame), or ac3/dolby digital (using aften or many other tools), or just keep it as uncompressed LPCM (similar to wav, which is usually a compatible stand-in) - though lpcm does eat into your video bitbudget.

Scott
    Quote Quote