VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. Downloaded a movie 1080p BluRay 759MB .avi. On opening, window (.png attachment)
    says "may need Xvid codec to view movie. Check Readme.txt for download and install".
    Readme: "Create a free account and Download Codec for watch the movie:"
    Link is third party wants me to create an account etc. For a codec?....

Instead I went to Xvidmovies.comFAQ and dl'd Xvid codec for Windows. Believe it was correct version.
    Reopening .avi file (VLC is default player- same in WMP). Get the same prompt. (.png attch.).
    This is all, of course, on the desktop PC.
    Simple (user error) fix? Redirect? Tks much.

Edit: I've several other BluRay .mkv and MP4 files that open without/ prior to sd codec d/l.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xvid prompt.png
Views:	5550
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	45723  

Quote Quote  
  2. Delete it. It's obviously not an XviD. At least you had enough sense not to create an account. I'd still run a virus scan, if I were you.

You could open it in MediaInfo and confirm it's not an XviD AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Bassmike View Post
    Hi. Downloaded a movie 1080p BluRay 759MB .avi.

Simple (user error) fix? Redirect? Tks much.
    Or bait - IMHO you just downloaded fake movie and perhaps they will allow you to download movie you are searching for after registration (or not).
    I think this is quite common case for illegal content - there is plenty of fake files pretending to be something you are looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's a honeypot to trick you into downloading their malware.

Download the Xvid codec from this site and install it. If you still can't watch the movie it's not because of a missing Xvid codec.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/XviD-Codec
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup she's a poser. If I'm reading it right. Invalid file extension.
    Thanks for the education, guys. Enjoy the weekend.

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	746
Size:	472.1 KB
ID:	45728  

Quote Quote  
  6. It's an mp4 file, not an AVI file. And the video is AVC (h.264), not Xvid. Nevertheless, most players can open media files that have been named with the wrong extension.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo If it's a true mp4 file and not corrupt/ truncated .exe etc, why wouldn't it as a media file, open with a "player"?
    Quote Quote  
  8. MediaInfo is identifying the file as an mp4 file. That doesn't mean it's not otherwise corrupt or encrypted.

A/V containers have easily identified internal structures. For example, a true AVI file always starts with the four letters "RIFF". Bytes 4-7 of mp4 files is always "ftyp". Players don't assume a video is an AVI file just because the extension is AVI. They look inside the file for those identifying structures. Otherwise they would fail to play files with the wrong extension.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok then. So is this an .exe of some type? Mass (size etc) is simply a container label and no indication of what type of entity it is?
    Either way- it's garbage and not worth sending to Secureteam 10. Long way to go in my AV journey lol. Thanks again. Back to the ole'...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Bassmike View Post
    Ok then. So is this an .exe of some type?
    No, it appears to be an mp4 file. At least is has enough mp4 structure for MediaInfo to detect it as an mp4 file. But it doesn't play when you attempt to do so. If you follow their instructions and download/install the "codec" from the suggested web site you will likely be infected with malware.

Originally Posted by Bassmike View Post
    Mass (size etc) is simply a container label and no indication of what type of entity it is?
    Anybody can create a file of any size they want, put whatever they want in it, and name it with any name and extension they want.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th May 2018 at 12:46.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And here I was thinkin' the Internet was a safe and wholesome place...Oh the humanity.

Suggest a good VPN?

Name:	B2zOFsE.gif
Views:	75
Size:	569.1 KB
ID:	45730  

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got a great script here for anyone else who wants to auto-detect any fake movies: https://github.com/ultimate-pms/fake-video-detector

Name:	screenshot.gif
Views:	550
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	46190  

Quote Quote