VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

The person I work for has mistakenly re-formatted a collection of SD and CF cards (incl. Sony F3, AJA Ki Pro Mini). He needs to recover video files. We use Mac computers.

Is it worth it to have the cards professionally recovered at a camera/tech shop, or is there a software program anybody here has had success with? There seems to be a lot of recovery software out there and it's hard to tell what's trustworthy. I should mention that the software doesn't have to be free, it just has to be effective and cheaper than a professional recovery.

A few other stray but important questions:

-What are the risks of running a recovery program that fails? In other words is it possible for software to damage the old data so that no other program has a chance of successfully recovering it?

-Most importantly: is it possible to recover at least some data from a card that has been reformatted and then recorded over a bit, but not all the way? I have read that if the whole card has been recorded over, the old data is irretrievable. But there's only a little bit of new material on this card.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps take a look at Testdisk, Puran file recovery and Easeus, all free versions.
    Access to the drives should be read only, any recovered files will be copied to another partition.

http://www.puransoftware.com/File-Recovery.html
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery-software/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Dave!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Have you personally used any of these?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used pci_filerecoverey v4 and recuva (Windows only) and it worked well, But remember that data that has been overwritten with new data is lost and can't be recovered anymore!

There is another program called restoration (Windows only) that i have used but it is very old and not so easy to use.

In principle there are no risks to use this tools because they only read the source. Writing should always be to another drive or partition.
    The part of the data that has been overwritten with new data is certainly lost!

I don't use mac so i don't know any programs for that.
    Last edited by jan5678; 20th Jan 2014 at 12:01.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Perhaps take a look at Testdisk, Puran file recovery and Easeus, all free versions.
    Access to the drives should be read only, any recovered files will be copied to another partition.

http://www.puransoftware.com/File-Recovery.html
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery-software/
    Yes, I've used all three. Testdisk in a situation where the partition table was wiped out, the program was able
    to rebuild it.
    Puran for finding and restoring deleted files, and we used Easus for doing a "full recovery". It recreated
    the whole partition on a second drive, after the source partition was badly damaged.

In Puran, activate "deep scan" and "find lost files". I've also tried "restoration", "pci_recovery" and "recuvu".
    In a simulated disaster, I created and deleted some files from the test partition. Puran was able to "see"
    more and get back data that the others never found. Still, these programs are all read only, should not harm
    the source disk. Try them all if necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks guys, I appreciate the great advice. I think Puran sounds like the way to go, out of all these. Someone else recommended Lexar Image Recover, too, which is specific to memory cards and to image and video files...I'll let you know how that goes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    is it possible to recover at least some data from a card that has been reformatted and then recorded over a bit, but not all the way?
    People seem to be missing this, if something is just deleted it can usually be recovered, however if something new has been written to the drive, memory card, etc.
    Odds are it's gone forever!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The later is true for memory cards.

Hd's can be reformatted / overwritten numerous times before data is irrecoverable.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ummm, no, I don't think so.....
    ANY drive, even HDD's, that has been written to after something is deleted overwrites the original data and it is lost!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He's talking about almost NASA-level technology to recover trace magnetic patterns from HDDs that have been re-written, not consumer level stuff that just recovers data that's still all there but no longer listed in the FAT.

The format operation in some cameras permanently deletes all information. Typically that is a slow process, while a simple "re-format" which just wipes the FAT leaving all the data intact (and recoverable) is a quick process.

You can set SD cards to read-only. It's not bullet proof, but it's still worth doing in this case. Recovery programs should never write to memory cards, but dumb OSs might do.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
    Hi all,

The person I work for has mistakenly re-formatted a collection of SD and CF cards (incl. Sony F3, AJA Ki Pro Mini). He needs to recover video files. We use Mac computers.

Is it worth it to have the cards professionally recovered at a camera/tech shop, or is there a software program anybody here has had success with? There seems to be a lot of recovery software out there and it's hard to tell what's trustworthy. I should mention that the software doesn't have to be free, it just has to be effective and cheaper than a professional recovery.

A few other stray but important questions:

-What are the risks of running a recovery program that fails? In other words is it possible for software to damage the old data so that no other program has a chance of successfully recovering it?

-Most importantly: is it possible to recover at least some data from a card that has been reformatted and then recorded over a bit, but not all the way? I have read that if the whole card has been recorded over, the old data is irretrievable. But there's only a little bit of new material on this card.

Thanks!
    Hello Garlic,

Due you're on a Mac computer I would suggest you to test the recovery and repair process of your SD cards using Treasured. Diagnostic is free and repair process guaranteed by the guys from Aero Quartet. Best of luck!

---Fire
    Last edited by FireRouteR; 21st Jan 2014 at 08:33. Reason: Link to VideoHelp tool repository added
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There should never be further loss if you are using proper procedure.
    That is:
    set card to read only.
    Do immediate image backup to ISO/IMG/etc file onto separate drive.
    Make working copies, keeping that backup image pristine
    Work only on one of the copies, each using a different method
    Compare results of various methods.
    Take best version.
    Then and only then (& only if still necessary) use tools to scour the low level dir tree, toc, partition table, etc sectors of the original media - but even then have saves be put on other medium.

Scott
    Quote Quote