VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I am converting a lot of video tapes with Canopus. For each output file I would like to generate the video mosaic file that shows some pictures from the fideo. That file should be a jpeg and its content is a mosaic of the pictures from the videos, to help us and recognize the content of the scenes. I suppouse it is made from video capturing an image every some seconds. Usually this file is collected to the video when it is downloaded from internet.
    Is there someone that knows hot to build it? And the software that I can use? Many thanks and sorry for my bad English.
    Quote Quote  
  2. mpc-hc video player can generate a .jpg sheet of thumbnails (File > Thumbnails...) from the played video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately for Bill I do not use windows. I use linux and all my family use linux. Do you know if there some software that has this menu, for example: VLC player, that is in use for linux too? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I solved by myself. Every good video player has the saving images from file function. The best I use is VLC but ffmpeg also is used expecially for conversions using CUDA engines. ffmpeg has the export images too. But it is not the searched function that is: create a thumbs sheet. So there is an ImageMagic function that is montage. The tutorial how the utility works is: HERE. And the Montage use fot that is: HERE. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Many tools can be used to generate thumbnail sheets.
    - Some tools allow customization of the sheet layout and of the text overlay
    - Typically the thumbnails are generated at a fixed time-interval (based on the desired sheet layout ex: 5x8 thumbnails and the video duration), but it would also be possible to use chapters or scene-change detection.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. Could you suggest some utils better than mine? ffmpeg saves by parameters via command line. ImageMagic too. If you know some more usefull engines to do that I can try to use it. But I will not install windows. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. This isn't a new problem: I would suggest you search for existing scripts (and modify them to your requirements if needed).

ffmpeg + imagemagick are good tools, but not that easy to use.
    Quote Quote  
  8. ffmpeg thumbnail+tile:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i video.mkv -vf "thumbnail=60,scale=128:72,tile=6x6" tiles.jpg
    The thumbnail value should be about the number of frames in the video divided by the number of tiles.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Apr 2021 at 08:18.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello I was working into this project. Thanks for the ffmpeg command!!

Problem: a lot of files during tape conversion to digital; watching all content to understand what I am process on.
    Solution: create a thumb file that shows me the content of the video result after the video capture processes.

Create the thumbs of the video with ffmpeg via command line.
    Below the command I used to create a thumb after two minutes starting after two minuter from the beginning:
    Code:
    $ ffmpeg -i input.avi -ss 00:02:20.435 -vf fps=1/120 -qscale:v 2 ./thumbs/output_%03d.jpg
    ImageMagick is a command line processor pre-installed in Linux. The plugin to create the thumbs file is "montage" and there are a lot of effects (also labeling). I need a file with the thumbs divided for columns. I need 4 columns at the video standard resolution:
    Code:
    $ montage *.jpg -mode Concatenate -tile 4x  montage_array.jpg
    I have for each video the thumbs file!! Thanks for all guys.
    Quote Quote