VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Handbrake extra options. I can't figure out how to use them.
    I'm trying to convert a video with h265, but can't get it to work.

https://www.pixeltopic.com/image/xjncgxgziqgwyyi/?size=full
    Here's a picture of what I'm trying to do.
    I want to specify --range full because I want to use the full luma range 0-255 instead of the limited 16-235 garbage.

But why isn't it working? Please help!:)
    /Solouplay (<- idiot)
    Quote Quote  
  2. range=full

But: this will only flag the output as having full range, not actually convert the range. So if your input is not full range (99% of content is limited range) you will produce broken files. Don't do it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    range=full

But: this will only flag the output as having full range, not actually convert the range. So if your input is not full range (99% of content is limited range) you will produce broken files. Don't do it.
    The input is full range.

I tried range=full and now there's no error in the log, but it still converts to limited range
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by solouplay View Post
    I want to specify --range full because I want to use the full luma range 0-255 instead of the limited 16-235 garbage.
    You want to intentionally blow out the whites and crush the blacks so you lose all the very dark greys and very light whites? This is for some kind of effect? I don't think so if you're calling 16-235 'garbage'.

Edit:
    Originally Posted by solouplay View Post

I tried range=full and now there's no error in the log, but it still converts to limited range
    Maybe you're planning on fixing it later on for the final format?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by solouplay View Post
    The input is full range.

It seems HandBrake always tries to convert to limited range. So the only way to properly encode to full range using HandBrake would be to use full range content flagged as limited range as input and range=full as extra parameter.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You want to intentionally blow out the whites and crush the blacks so you lose all the very dark greys and very light whites? This is for some kind of effect? I don't think so if you're calling 16-235 'garbage'.
    No, I want it to be in full-range 0 to 255.
    The problem is that handbrake is forcing 16-235 range, and I can't figure out how to override it :)

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Maybe you're planning on fixing it later on for the final format?
    This will be the final format (h265)

Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    It seems HandBrake always tries to convert to limited range. So the only way to properly encode to full range using HandBrake would be to use full range content flagged as limited range as input and range=full as extra parameter.
    So my input needs to be limited for it to work? That's not good :/
    Maybe I need to use some other software that can convert to h265.
    Quote Quote