VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, someone in another thread recommended DVDFab as a good ripping tool to use, as opposed to the older DVDShrink or DVD Decrypter, so I have downloaded the trial version onto two different laptops, and so far like it a lot.

Question, though: On one laptop it assembles all the ripped files into one single file, while the other laptop divides it into four different files I then have to join together.

Is there a simple setting somewhere in DVDFab that I can change so it always assembles the ripped files into a single file after ripping? I'm a bit of a novice, and don't know where to look.

Thank You!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are you actually just "ripping" them or converting them to another format ?

What format are the "file(s)" in on your pc after "ripping" them ?

Because if you are just "ripping" the dvd's you will always end up with a VIDEO_TS folder with multiple VOB's, IFO's & BUP's regardless of what pc they are ripped on.

Exactly like the original dvd.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using Dvdfab for years and never had that problem, Try uninstalling Fab and reinstall.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Noahtuck, it looks like DVDFab must be both ripping and converting the files. Instead of a bunch of VOB's, I'm ending with a single MPG. Does that make sense?

But again, why is one version doing it and the other isn't? Could it be different OS's? One is in a Vista laptop, the other is running on XP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
    Noahtuck, it looks like DVDFab must be both ripping and converting the files. Instead of a bunch of VOB's, I'm ending with a single MPG. Does that make sense?

But again, why is one version doing it and the other isn't? Could it be different OS's? One is in a Vista laptop, the other is running on XP.
    Sounds like you may have inadvertently chose to convert the movie on the other laptop. Did you happen to disable the selection menu that appears at start-up, if so it may by defaulting to the last choice you made.

This is only thing that comes to mind i have used DVDFab for years and have never heard of a problem like this.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Dragon, this is not a problem, it is actually an advantage. I would PREFER to have it all in one chuck, not in separate VOB's. No, I did not intentionally change the settings or menu on either install, it just came out that way.

It would save me a lot of time if I could get the second laptop to do this as well, since I am approaching deadline and could use both laptops going at it.

Thanks, Dragon, and thanks in advance to anyone else who chimes in here.

Best,
    CharmedLife417
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would PREFER to have it all in one chuck, not in separate VOB's.
    Sorry I guess i didn't fully read your post. Try selecting movie only that's the only thing i can come up with also chack the structure of the DVD where you say all the files were joined, it may be that the movie was in one vob (i have seen this many times).
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Dragon, this is not a problem, it is actually an advantage. I would PREFER to have it all in one chuck, not in separate VOB's.
    This is probably a little late....

To Rip and Convert with DVDFab, "all in one chuck", you click on "DVD Ripper", found on the list of modes or "options" on the left side of the main program window. You can then choose from 20 or so different output formats.

I'm amazed that two guys responded who have been "using DVDFab for years", and neither one could just tell you which mode to pick.

Originally Posted by dragonkeeper View Post
    Sorry I guess i didn't fully read your post. Try selecting movie only that's the only thing i can come up with also chack the structure of the DVD where you say all the files were joined, it may be that the movie was in one vob (i have seen this many times).
    Selecting "Movie Only" isn't gonna do anything. And what difference does it make how many VOB's the disc has on it ? He's winding up with one file, yes, but it's an .mpg.
    Last edited by William_Rose; 9th Nov 2011 at 07:27.
    Quote Quote