VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Need suggestions on getting WMV to open in VDUB. After installing Windows 7 Codec Pack, I now no longer get the black screen with missing codec message. Instead, the input pane is solid green, output is black, and the video won't play. it also freezes VDub so I have to "end process" in Task Manager.

Over the last few weeks I have installed and uninstalled various things including: K-lite, W 7 Codec Pack, and ffdshow (with libavcodec enabled for wmv items in VFW config). Nothing seems to work, but currently W 7 Codec Pack at least has gotten rid of "missing codec". I am using fcchandler's wmv plugin for VDub. I need to be using VDub so I am on the same page with my daughter who is learning to use it.

The wmv's (about 100 tutorial clips) I think were originally from some kind of streaming download. VDub does a "building an ASF block" routine when I try to open one of them. I have also tried a fresh DL of latest VDub.

Any suggestions other then toss my laptop out the window?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First off most people here don't recommend codec packs - too many potential conflict issues.

Also there are quite a few different variants of vdub out there. I can't remember exactly which one does wmv natively. My money is on virtualdubmod.

Either way it doesn't really matter. Just open using the directshowsource option and will make an avs script so that (edit - virtually) any video file can be opened in vdub.

I haven't done it in a little while so I can't tell you exactly how to do it. Basically go into the file open window and there is a little drop down box below the place where you have the file name listed - select directshowsource and you'll be able to open the file and a little 2kb or so avs file will be generated.

Others here are free to correct me where my memory is not correct.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. The author removed WMV support from VirtualDub after patent threats from Microsoft. There's still a very old build of VirtualDub that supports WMV floating around: VirtualDub 1.3c.

There is also a WMV source plugin for current versions VirtualDub. And you can use the DirectShow source filter too. See the VirtualDub page here for the various source plugins.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    The author removed WMV support from VirtualDub after patent threats from Microsoft. There's still a very old build of VirtualDub that supports WMV floating around: VirtualDub 1.3c.
    I did not know that. THanks.

Originally Posted by jagabo
    And you can use the DirectShow source filter too.
    Seems like the best bet. Though if there is a plugin that is worth a shot.

Thanks for the update jagabo.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I only see 'open video' under File in VDub Mod, no little box.

I tried DShowInputDriver just now (put it in Plugins32) in both VDub and VDub Mod. Fcchandler's WMV plugin is in there as well. Same deal, input pane green, output black. .. but if I advance to somewhere in the video, I get one frame displayed in output pane. But, VDub is frozen and I have to go to Task Manager to end it.

Maybe there's a commercial software video editor out there that's dead simple to use. VDub is killing me with these wmv's.

In fact, yeah, what software is good?
    Quote Quote  
  6. is there maybe a problem with the wmv videos ? maybe drm protected ?

can you play them in another player like vlc? (not wmp)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    is there maybe a problem with the wmv videos ? maybe drm protected ?

can you play them in another player like vlc? (not wmp)
    They play Ok in KMP, WMP, Media Classic, VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Puzzle. I've been opening wmv in VirtualDub for years. I used FCCHandler's WMV Plugin for VDub 1.8 and later.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 26th Mar 2014 at 06:26.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Puzzle. I've been opening wmv in VirtualDub for years. I used FCCHandler's WMV Plugin for VDub 1.8 and later.
    Puzzle is right. I completely don't understand what's going on.
    Quote Quote  
  10. the directshow plugin has to be activated by selecting it from the drop down menu in the file open dialog box (see post #9 for the screenshot)
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355182-VirtualDub-Removing-Logo-File-Not-Recognized

another option is the ffinputdriver
    http://code.google.com/p/ffinputdriver/

or an avisynth script
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    the directshow plugin has to be activated by selecting it from the drop down menu in the file open dialog box

another option is the ffinputdriver
    http://code.google.com/p/ffinputdriver/

or an avisynth script
    Under File, I only see "open video" in the drop-down menu.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I meant the "files of type" box ; see the edits I made in the post above and the screenshots in that linked thread (see screenshots in post #9)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Jesus. After selecting Open Video File use the Files Of Type pulldown (near the bottom of the file dialog) to select which source filter you want to use:

Click image for larger version

Name:	type.png
Views:	770
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	17303

You must download and install the appropriate source filters before this will work. See the import plugins/filters section here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Virtualdub
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Jesus. After selecting Open Video File use the Files Of Type pulldown (near the bottom of the file dialog) to select which source filter you want to use:

[Attachment 17303 - Click to enlarge]

You must download and install the appropriate source filters before this will work. See the import plugins/filters section here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Virtualdub
    Yes, I see the directshow file type and the direct show driver file is in Plugins32 but it's the same problem. I have to throw in the towel on this one. I'm going to buy same software. Thanks for your help. Kicker is I, too, was using fcchandler WMV plugin for years with Windows XP. But with W7, it's just not happening.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Both the WMV and DirectShow plugins work on my Win7 computers.

Note that the DirectShow source filter relies on whatever DirectShow file readers/splitters and codecs you have installed. That's where you should be looking for the source of your problem. You can use a tool like Graph Studio or GSpot to determine what DirectShow filters are used to access WMV/ASF files.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Apr 2013 at 22:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Maybe there's a 32bit v 64bit mismatch here?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. I suspect the Win7 codec pack screwed something up.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I suspect the Win7 codec pack screwed something up.
    That's my first thought also. OP: Try completely uninstalling the codec pack, and maybe use CCleaner or some such to remove any debris. And if you need the ability to read many different codecs, install ffdshow. It's a single program rather than a collection of separate ones hammered together, and it's perfectly well-behaved.

Also, you haven't said what version of Virtualdub you're running. Go to the links on this site and make sure you're current on both the program itself and the WMV/Directshow/etc. plugins.
    Quote Quote