VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK, trying to convert our JPG photo's using VCDEasy as per vitualis's suggestion (to show JPG files on our TV through our standalone JVC XV-S500BK DVD player at a faster rate than the disappointing standard slow display rate).

This error happens when following the VCDEasy Guide for converting JPG's found at: (http://www.vcdeasy.org/modules.php?name=_Guides&id=SimpleStills)...once I finish the conversion process:

"ERROR (with a big red circle with white cross) <file name> creation failed malloc failed" then once I close that error box, this info box appears: Mpeg Still(s) creation finished Number of Pictures: 1 Failed: 1 See the log page for details. The log shows the exact above information.

What am I doing wrong??

What's a malloc? (Thought it was a Mullet!)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    malloc is a C language function. It allocate memory and it's declared as:

void *malloc( size_t size );

size is number of bytes to allocate. The example:

#include <stdlib.h>
    #include <malloc.h>

void main( void )
    {
    * char *number; /* that will be pointer for return value*/
    int NoOfBytes;

NoOfBytes = 1024; /* I want to allocate 1024 bytes*/
    * number = malloc(NoOfBytes);
    * if( number == NULL )
    **** printf( "Not enough memory\n" );
    * else
    printf( "OK, memory allocated\n" );
    }

malloc will return a pointer to allocated space or NULL it there is not enough memory available.

So, the application can't reserve a desired portion of memory and picture creation failed. It happen when, obviously, there's not enough free memory but in your particular case, without knowing anything more about your hw/sw configuration, it's difficult to say why this happens.
    Quote Quote