VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When I went to burn an image file of North Country using DVDDecrypter (afer pre-processing with DVDFABDecrypter and DVD Shrink), DVDDecrypter reported back that the image contained more sectors than the DVD(+RW) had available. The image also was larger than 4,7xxx,xxx bytes! While I instructed DVD Shrink to include EVERYTHING (including English subtitles), the green bar on the top of the screen still stated that it was within the limits of a single-sided DVD!! What gives??!! I EVEN tried to reshrink the offending image file that I created, which did shrink it to an image that DVDDecrypter was able to write, but the resulting DVD would not navigate properly and kept freezing on me!! This is the first time I ever have encountered such a problem!! Any hints?? (...and yes, I am using the latest and greatest DVDFABDecrypter, FYI!!). Thanks in advance for all of your help!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried the obvious of uninstalling/reinstalling DVD Shrink?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure that this will help, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to mention....

I don't remember what the DVD was or who made it, but one time I saw a DVD that contained a VOB of 1 GB of nothing. There was no video of any kind in the VOB. The only thing I could figure is that either it was put there deliberately to force the DVD to be big enough to require a dual layer disc (some people just assume dual layer discs are always better than single layer discs) or maybe it had some kind of weird anti-copying use. Try playing your VOBs and see if you have any strange ones that take up a lot of space but have nothing in them. Perhaps one of these is preventing DVD Shrink from working correctly. If you find such a VOB, you will need to use VOB Blanker or a similar tool to get rid of it before trying to use DVD Shrink.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some DVDs have unused sectors for whatever reason, and this throws off DVDShrink's calculations. Best bet is to just redo it from scratch and manually increase the compression to compensate.

jman98, I believe large dummy files like that are used to make the two layers equal in size so as to decrease the reallocation time between layer breaks, and thus decrease the potential pause in playback. Every DVD I've see like this has equal layer sizes because of the dummy files.

And yeah, that is the type of unaccessed file that can slip by programs like DVD Shrink.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whenever I have issues like that with DVDShrink, I just delete the ripped files, and start over. Almost always solves the problem.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote