VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm not really much of a video person. I'm into 3D Animation and I'd rendered out a very nice looking animated film ...as far as a computer monitor is concerned.
    I didn't have access to a Video Monitor setup so I went completely by the comp. monitor.

But now when I rendered over 17,000 frames and exported them all to DVD from Premiere Pro 1.5 and checked it on a TV (NTSC) it still looks pretty decent but there are some areas that are slightly overexposed.

They're not burnt so image detail is there but the NTSC monitor just makes the over-exposed very distinct.

I know I should kick myself for not checking it on a monitor earlier but without a live feed directly to a video monitor it's very difficult to burn DVD's back and forth to check each time. Still, I've learnt my lesson.

but now I have 17,000 frames rendered out and it seems like it could be corrected but I'm not sure how to do it in Premiere Pro.

Is there a way to bring down the luminance over a certain level. Like a threshold so it doesn't get too bright in certain areas without losing any other detail ?

Please help. I could sure use some.
    Thanks to all responses and all reading so far.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go to the effects control tab...
    There's quite a few options as to colour correction..
    Within the effects dialogue box, type in any of the possible fix filters..
    Levels, Saturation, Colour Correction, etc....

Alternately, simply go through all the effects folders, and you'll find a few options for correction.
    On your monitor window, there's a flyout to watch vectorscope, RGB, etc...
    This can give you an idea as to safely exposed colours (although i don't personally ever use these ).

Good luck!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen the many controls in the effects tab, but I'm not sure which one to play with to just have a luminance threshold.
    If I simply bring down the luminance or brightness down it does it for the entire image which isn't what I'm looking for.
    I just need bright areas that are above a certain level to be brought down so they blend in better with rest of the image.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just a thought, but are you sure the TV you tested on is calibrated correctly and doesn't have "hot spots". One of my TVs cause slight color changes in certain areas. This is not always apparent depending on the video I'm watching, but it caused alot of unnecessary time "correcting" a problem that didn't exist in my source.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only way I have found to process just the bright spots is to adjust the gamma. Look for a video filter for Highlight-Mid-Shadow gamma adjustment. Turn down the Hightlight from about 5 to 10 percent. This will preserve all of the rest of the image without making it all darker like simply adjusting brightness would.
    Quote Quote