VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to encode videos to bluray and the process is taking 4 hours..
    I am using Corel VideoStudio Pro X7
    The videos range in length from 1 hour to 3 hours
    I was wondering is there anyway of increasing the speed of completion as i can create a home movie on dvd in 45 minutes..
    Quote Quote  
  2. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You've answered your owm question! If you take 45 minutes to create a DVD, how long do you expect to take to create a Bluray which has 6 times the resolution of a DVD?
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  3. I was wondering how i could increase the processing time, is it based on processor speed or Ram or GPU?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you are encoding direct from your editor, the CPU & RAM overhead is huge, because each task demands all the CPU & RAM it can get. I find it is often much faster to generate a lossless intermediate file (UT Video, MagicYUV, ...), then take that file to a dedicated encoding program (can't recommend one; I use Handbrake, I don't know Blu-ray)
    Last edited by raffriff42; 10th Jun 2017 at 13:29. Reason: auto-linkify failed on UT Video & Handbrake?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Does that mean as i have a quad core with 8Gb of mem that if i created a pc with a 16 core processor and 32 Gb of ram then the blu-ray should take an hour?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by commgames View Post
    Does that mean as i have a quad core with 8Gb of mem that if i created a pc with a 16 core processor and 32 Gb of ram then the blu-ray should take an hour?
    It's generally not that linear. It will depend on the exact software and hardware. In a worst case scenario it may be no faster at all because the bottleneck is elsewhere.

If your software supports GPU encoding and you have the right GPU (a GTX 1050, for example) you may get faster encoding though at slightly lower quality. Look for Intel QuickSync, Nvidia NVENC, etc. Even with software encoders you can usually select faster (lower quality or higher bitrate) or slower (higher quality or lower bitrate) encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by commgames View Post
    Does that mean as i have a quad core with 8Gb of mem that if i created a pc with a 16 core processor and 32 Gb of ram then the blu-ray should take an hour?
    No, because encoding speed for video usually does not scale linearly with number of cores

And you might have other bottlenecks, such as operations performed in the editor (e.g. filtering) that may slow things down even if encoding was faster

(oops jagabo posted first)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try Using dvdfab to encode your bluray disc's.
    The software makes full use of your graphics card & your cpu
    And takes less time. - http://www.dvdfab.cn/lightning-recoding.htm
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Four hours sounds about right for your system. My 8 core (Shown in my Computer Details)
    takes about 2 hours, depending on the material and my settings, to encode to H.264

I have 16GB RAM, but only 2 or 3 are ever used during an encode.

Of course, with lower quality settings, you can encode faster...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess it would be depended on your system specs and the video quality. Cannot talk much about it.
    Quote Quote