VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hiya folks,

From looking down the threads I think I'm in the right place to ask my questions - I can recognise the majority of the words used although there are one or two I'm going to have to do further reading on .

I'm most of the way through building what could possibly be described as a media center and I've hit a few problems doing what I want to do.

The machine is (will be) sat in a hole next to the TV and have several drives in it with music and video stored on them. The computer is on a LAN and is at the moment woken by Magic Packet to enable anyone on the LAN to access/play any media from it. OK, so far it's a NAS unit, and I'm having a few problems with it waking when not being called, and sometimes people have access problems (can't find the damn thing on the LAN) but I'm working on that.

The other side is that I want it to play on the TV anything that is on it's drives or that is sent to it over the LAN, well, I'm halfway there, almost. I can play anything that is on the machine or anything I call FROM another computer, but I have to sit at the TV and use the mouse/keyboard attached to it.

What I'd like to do is for any of the main computers on the LAN, only two of them probably, is to be able to wake the media box, start a media player on it (not necessarily Win Media Player, my pref is VLC) and to find and play any media from itself or the network on the TV.

All the stuff I've seen so far with regard to remote desktops etc seem have been for letting you use the remote programs/data on the machine you are sat at, whereas I want these "remote" machines to have as much control as possible over the "slave", I need to find and play the files and maybe have basic volume control etc.

Oh, nearly forgot one other important 'want' - to be able to stream from the internet to the TV too, I dont know if that will have to be fed to the player by a remote computer or if someone can tell me a way to (for want of a better description) duplicate the appearance and function of the media machine on a remote one.

So.....anyone out there assist this newbie in getting a bit of peace and quiet from the other half? Ok, that may be impossible, but at least I may be able to get the media side of things working as they want.

Thanks to everyone and any ideas considered!
    Cheers, Hobbit.

Media Machine is an dual core AM2 on an MSI mobo, Radeon HD 4350, 2 gig ram and assorted hard drives, running XP pro (at the moment - can make it Linux, or anything from 98 to Win 7), remote machines are either XP Pro or Win 7.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    hobbit-in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote