VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I want to transfer video from my old camera while I still can. I've tried to connect it to my Windows 11 PC. My original firewire card had 6-pin sockets. The camera has 4-pin (the very small plug). I've tried using Play Memories Home but the camera is not detected. The same when using Adobe Premiere Elements 14. The capture card is shown as working in device manager. The connection appears good as I can hear the tone when plugging the cable in and when I unplug it. I set the i-Link Conv setting to "Off", the VCR HDV/DV setting to "Auto". The mini DV tapes play fine on the camera.

I even bought a new capture card with a 4-pin socket as someone suggested that 4-pin to 6-pin could be a problem. Same result.

I downloaded HDVSplit and tried that. It also did not detect the camera.

I've tried another camera without success. I've cleaned the contacts inside the computer. I've done everything I can think of but I just can't seem to get the camera detected.

What else can I try? Help please!

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    HDVSplit is for HDV tapes only, Use Sclive for DV and DVCAM tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You have turned the camcorder on and put it in play mode? Just in case, can you verify that in System Settings → Privacy → App Permissions → Camera is enabled for desktop apps, although I thought that this is more relevant for USB than for Firewire, but who knows what Win11 thinks. Also, in the Device Manager make sure that the camcorder - not just the capture card - is shown as found and functioning properly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks, Dellsam. Noted. I will try Sclive.

Bwaak, thank you. Yes, I do have the camera in play mode.

I couldn't find that exact setting in Win11, but camera is enabled and also the option to allow desktop apps to access the camera.

The camera appears in device manager and is shown as working properly.

[Attachment 74550 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Surely this camcorder is HDV so HDVsplit would be a more appropiate transfer program.

Now when it worked before what OS were you using ?

Noone has mentioned a possible iee1394/firewire driver issue. Windows10 and, I guess, Windows11 removed their support for these devices so one requires a Windows8 legacy driver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the camcorder is capable of recording/playing both miniDV and HDV. it has to be put in the correct transfer mode(not auto) for the tape you are trying to capture. but like dbb3 said, i don't know of a firewire card that works with w11. look in device manager and see if "1394 OHCI Host Controller" is listed and working.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firewire works great in Win 11 with the native IEEE1394 driver using a VIA-based card. Win 10 was the bogeyman.

For Win 11, I recommend a VIA based card. I have this card installed.

I did try a Startech card (with the TI chipset) but it just wouldn't work at all, with either the native or legacy driver on Win 11

David Knarr has some info on all of this on his website here (there are some technical inaccuracies but the info on Win 10 and 11 is good):

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm

I even bought a new capture card with a 4-pin socket as someone suggested that 4-pin to 6-pin could be a problem.
    That's a furphy. I've always used a 6-pin socket on the computer card and never had a problem. The only thing you need to ensure is that you don't insert the 6-pin plug around the wrong way because if you do, you'll send current down the wrong wire and fry your camera. That said, the 6pin socket is keyed, so unless you're a 600lb gorilla in the dark on a rampage, you can't mess it up.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Surely this camcorder is HDV so HDVsplit would be a more appropiate transfer program.
    Still, A miniDV tape has to be transferred with Sclive or WinDV regardless if the camcorder is HDV or not, HDVSplit works on HDV tapes only, but the OP is playing back miniDV.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dellsam, "MiniDV" is the cassette form factor/shape only. "MiniDV" has nothing to do with/not related to the recorded video format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Go to Device Manager and see if there is IEEE 1394 host controllers.
    Click > and > VIA 1394 OCHI Compliant Host Controller (I am a firewire card with VIA chip. It may look slightly different if you have a different card.)
    Right click on it and you will see this.
    [Attachment 74562 - Click to enlarge]

If you don't see this then you need to install your firewire driver.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Dellsam, "MiniDV" is the cassette form factor/shape only. "MiniDV" has nothing to do with/not related to the recorded video format.
    No shit heh, You know what I mean, so stop acting like a smart ass.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A miniDV tape has to be transferred with Sclive or WinDV regardless if the camcorder is HDV or not
    Wrong! Stop spreading nonsense. Got it?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    A miniDV tape has to be transferred with Sclive or WinDV regardless if the camcorder is HDV or not
    Wrong! Stop spreading nonsense. Got it?
    Nothing I have said was wrong, I know you like trolling but I got no time for your idiotic comments and the childish who know better attitude, So please stop or you will be reported for being a pain in the ass in every thread.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go right ahead, Dellsam. I'm quite happy to defend myself with the facts and won't shy away from pointing out errors of others, as I hope others would do of me. If you want accuse me of trolling when I do that, then so be it. Newbys do not need to be fed furphies; this subject is hard enough to come to grips with as it is.

Again, you said:
    That is incorrect. You cannot transfer a HDV recording on a MiniDV tape with Scenalyzer. Think about it. Recall your experience with HDV recordings.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What I said is exactly correct, The OP has a small tape with DV recordings, I call that a miniDV tape, that's how I differentiate it from the full size DV tape, you disagree, fine, move on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You two really need to get a room.

Neither is correct or incorrect. To coin a phrase RTFM

The camcorder (manual pg 100) only uses a 'MiniDV' type cassette whether it records as HDV mode or DV mode.

And noone knows, since the OP has not made it clear, what mode he has used (he could even have used both at one time or another)

The firewire driver issue is one I do find intriguing. One can scroll back to all manner of topics and the recc was (nearly) always to use a card with a TI chipset due to 'issues' with VIA chipsets. Now the reverse appears to be the case. And quite often the seller of these cards does not advise the buyer what chipset is used even if the buyer knew the difference.
    Quote Quote  
  17. DB83 I'm not sure what mode I used. These MiniDV cassettes were recorded to transfer some even older VHS-C cassettes. I thought that would future proof my recordings. How wrong I was!

They were played on a VHS player, the signal was recorded on another Sony camera, a TRV20E. Is there a way I can see whether I recorded them as HDV or DV?

Pchan, I have installed the VIA driver successfully, but it hasn't made any difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What a 'dolly mixture'

My 'educated' guess is that the recording into the latest camcorder was plain DV since I suspect that the camcorder can not upscale to HD (But, knowing my form, I could be wrong)

It was suggested that you set the output on the camcorder to DV or HDV and not rely on the 'auto' setting

It was also suggested that you take another look at Windows Device Manager. If your card is not shown then you might well have a dud (Some cards, as I understand it, have no support, whatever the driver, beyond Win8.

Can you also advise us, or provide a purchase link, the make/model of the card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if all the tapes were recorded with the tvr20e, then they can only be pal DV tapes.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  20. What, an argument about a technicality, and I am not involved?

Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    if all the tapes were recorded with the tvr20e, then they can only be pal DV tapes.
    Tapes are tapes are tapes. They are not DV or HDV and neither PAL or NTSC. They are DVC cassettes, also known as MiniDV, also known as Digital 6. What matters is the kind of recording on them: DV, DVCAM, DVCPRO (not on MiniDV though) or HDV, and 50 Hz system (colloquially known as "PAL") or 60 Hz system (colloquially known as "NTSC"). Also 720 or 1080i or 1080p, but only JVC made a consumer-grade 720p HDV camcorder, and it was just one model that recorded 720p30, so who cares.

TLDR, tape ≠ recording.

But, if we to accept "tape" as "recording" or "tape + recording", then dellsam34's answer back in post #2 was succint, correct and useful.

Anyhooooo....

@Piplyn, since these are DV recordings, switching the camcorder's Firewire output to "DV" instead of "Auto" would not hurt, but may help. Also, either use DV-specific tools like WinDV or Scenalyzer Live, or use capture module in your NLE and pay attention to prompts. For example, in Vegas the capture module asks whether you want to capture in DV or in HDV, and you need to select explicitly, or it won't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Piplyn View Post
    DB83 I'm not sure what mode I used. These MiniDV cassettes were recorded to transfer some even older VHS-C cassettes. I thought that would future proof my recordings. How wrong I was!

They were played on a VHS player, the signal was recorded on another Sony camera, a TRV20E. Is there a way I can see whether I recorded them as HDV or DV?

Pchan, I have installed the VIA driver successfully, but it hasn't made any difference.
    If you can see the device driver at the Device Manager, then do you hear a Window audio when you connect camcorder to your PC? If no, then unplug the firewire card and clean both contacts with contact cleaner. If this still cannot, send your mini DV tape to Walmart for the transfer at www.dvdwalmart.com.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Piplyn,

In Device Manager you should see this when your camera is plugged in and in DV mode (note my IEEE1394 entry is the native Win 11 Firewire setup with a VIA card; yours may be slightly different):

[Attachment 74573 - Click to enlarge]

If you don't see your camcorder, post a screenshot (or describe) what you see for the IEEE1394 entry.

And quite often the seller of these cards does not advise the buyer what chipset is used even if the buyer knew the difference.
    Most unique adverts eg on Amazon, state what chipset (Texas Inst or VIA) is used on the card.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    send your mini DV tape to Walmart for the transfer at www.dvdwalmart.com.
    I don't think they have Walmart in the UK, or at least not under Walmart name. Be carful with department store transfer services, quality is not priority, unless they can provide raw DV footage on customer own hard drive or big size flash drive, They usually compress everything down to h.264 form all source formats.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    send your mini DV tape to Walmart for the transfer at www.dvdwalmart.com.
    I don't think they have Walmart in the UK, or at least not under Walmart name. Be carful with department store transfer services, quality is not priority, unless they can provide raw DV footage on customer own hard drive or big size flash drive, They usually compress everything down to h.264 form all source formats.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Firstly, thank you for all your messages. I really appreciate them. So, here is the link to the firewire card I bought the other day:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PHJKSF1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Using this card, this screenshot shows Device Manager when the camcorder is in play mode:

[Attachment 74583 - Click to enlarge]

The original card was bought in 2004 and I don't have the details now.

Pchan, yes I do hear the audio tone when the cable is connected or disconnected and also when the camera is switched on and off. I got the same with the original card with 6 pin sockets too.

This is Device Manager for the firewire card after I changed the driver to VIA (though I don't know if it has a VIA chipset):

[Attachment 74584 - Click to enlarge]

I didn't think the camera needed a driver, but I looked on the original Sony disc and I can only see a USB driver.

Dellsam is correct that we don't have Wallmart as such in the UK. Also, I have about 50 tapes| We took a lot of video of the kids when they were growing up. I really need to watch them and make notes as the video is transferred.

I hope this gives further clues?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From what I can see, you are almost there.
    Here is the link to the manual.
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/2319/23198061M.pdf
    On page 77, perform step 6(to turn on playback mode), and launch WinDV.exe.
    Do you see a blue screen on WinVD?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    though I don't know if it has a VIA chipset
    It has a VIA chip (on the Amazon link).

Both your driver properties are the same as mine.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I think we are getting somewhere. I downloaded WinDV as I didn't have it on my computer. It recognised the camera and I captured a couple of minutes of video from one of the MiniDV tapes. Great!

Encouraged, I opened Play Memories Home (which is version 6.0.00.12211 - apparently from 2019 according to the copyright statement). Still no recognition of the camera.

I then tried Premiere Elements. Unfortunately the same message "No supported device has been detected"

I suppose I could limp by with WinDVD but it is rather clunky. I don't want to sound ungrateful, Pchan, but it would be easier with one of the more up-to-date programs. WinDV doesn't control the camera and it doesn't stop capturing when you've paused the tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please... please... please... don't use Sony Play Memories Home crap. Use either WinDV or ScenalyzerLive. You can control camcorder i.e. forward, reverse, play and recorder. Have fund transfer your miniDV tapes to your PC.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Scenalyzer. Setup guide here.
    Quote Quote