VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

Just wondering would anyone be able to advise me on this?

I've got a couple of old 2nd-generation RF video game consoles running into a single RF combiner.

The combiner then runs into a Channel Master RF amplifier, then to a RF-to-composite demodulator, then the composite signal runs to a gompsw composite switch.

The output from the composite switch to the upscaler/modern TV looks and sounds great, as the upscaler has a built-in comb filter.

However, the output to CRT is a little noisier, and has a little more artifacts on the video signal. It's not terrible, especially considering it's RF and it's going through a long chain. But would anyone be able to advise on what kind of filter might be effective in cleaning it up?

I've been looking into devices that can ground the signal and filter the noise, and what I've come across so far is:

1) LTE filters like this guy that cable companies in the U.S. use.

2) Expensive older VCR players like the the JVC HR-S7600U, but these go on ebay for like $400 each not including delivery to Ireland

I'm working on replacing the stock RF cable in my test console and attaching some ferrite cores at the moment, but would greatly appreciate any thoughts on what kind of filter would be effective (see green arrow in diagram)

[Attachment 60067 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Also, just had a thought - if you're sending AV output from a bunch of RF consoles in close proximity to each other, to a single combiner - would running the cables through some sort of conduit help in any way with preventing interference?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Those composite to HDMI upscalers do an ok cleaning job
    Last edited by rrats; 27th Jul 2021 at 07:29.
    Quote Quote