VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As I understand it both of them are codecs but people are telling me that both of them are in the same track with AC3 at the core, what does that mean and how is that possible? Isn't only one codec used for each track and isn't AC3 a lossy codec?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The way I understand it, TrueHD and AC3 are separate audio streams, but in the case of Bluray players at least, they're seen by the player as a single audio track, and the player can decode either just the AC3, which is lossy, or the TrueHD, which isn't..... assuming it supports TrueHD (it's optional for Bluray players). TrueHD doesn't have an AC3 "core" as such. They're two independent streams. The lossless TrueHD can be decoded on it's own without needing data from the AC3 stream.

The "core" concept probably comes from the way DTS works. In the case of DTS, backwards compatibility was achieved in a different way. DTS-HD has a lossy "core" as well as a stream containing the data required to "make up the difference" between the lossy encoding and the original lossless audio. In that respect they're tied together. A player can decode just the lossy core, or if it supports DTS-HD it can decode the core along with the additional data required for lossless.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That is my understanding of both of those codec families as well.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    The way I understand it, TrueHD and AC3 are separate audio streams, but in the case of Bluray players at least, they're seen by the player as a single audio track, and the player can decode either just the AC3, which is lossy, or the TrueHD, which isn't..... assuming it supports TrueHD (it's optional for Bluray players). TrueHD doesn't have an AC3 "core" as such. They're two independent streams. The lossless TrueHD can be decoded on it's own without needing data from the AC3 stream.

The "core" concept probably comes from the way DTS works. In the case of DTS, backwards compatibility was achieved in a different way. DTS-HD has a lossy "core" as well as a stream containing the data required to "make up the difference" between the lossy encoding and the original lossless audio. In that respect they're tied together. A player can decode just the lossy core, or if it supports DTS-HD it can decode the core along with the additional data required for lossless.
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    That is my understanding of both of those codec families as well.

Scott
    TY, it cleared things up for DTS-HD, but for Dolby there's still one thing that I don't understand, if the TrueHD track can be decoded and played on it's own then why put the AC3 stream in there in the first place?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Starburst View Post

TY, it cleared things up for DTS-HD, but for Dolby there's still one thing that I don't understand, if the TrueHD track can be decoded and played on it's own then why put the AC3 stream in there in the first place?
    Legacy heritage? AC3 is de facto widely accepted standard and as such in theory it is royalty free...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by Starburst View Post

Legacy heritage? AC3 is de facto widely accepted standard and as such in theory it is royalty free...
    I see ty
    Quote Quote  
  7. Plus for Bluray there's three compulsory formats all players must be able to decode. AC3, DTS and PCM. BD-ROM titles must use one of those types for the primary soundtrack. The newer formats, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution (lossy) and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio (lossless) are all optional. So if a Bluray title was to contain only Dolby audio, it'd have to contain AC3 as it's one of the compulsory formats.

Chances are some of the budget model Bluray players only supported the compulsory formats, at least in the early days.

I haven't worked with much TrueHD audio but if you open a Bluray title using MeGUI's HD Streams Extractor (a GUI for eac3to). It shows a single TrueHD stream you can extract with a thd+ac3 extension, with a thd extension or with an ac3 extension, and that gives you both thd+ac3 together, just the TrueHD or just the AC3 respectively. If you open the thd+ac3 extracted file with MKVMergeGUI it shows two individual streams, so it's kind of like the thd+ac3 are together in a container which is in turn inside the m2ts file on the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What's the difference between encoding TrueHD into 640kbps 5.1 or extracting that core 640kbps, 5.1 using eac3to? What advantages are there between those two approaches just to get AC3 out of TrueHD audio on Blu-Ray, did anybody try to hear the differences, if there are any?
    Quote Quote  
  9. AC3/DD5.1 -> core of Dolby TrueHD and Atmos
    DTS -> core of DTS-HD

Here's some info from my Bluray:

TrueHD
    Dolby TrueHD Audio English 1540 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1540 kbps / 16-bit (AC3 Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps)

Atmos
    Dolby TrueHD Audio / 7.1 / 48 kHz / 4512 kbps / 24-bit (AC3 Embedded: 5.1-EX / 48 kHz / 640 kbps)

DTS-HD
    DTS-HD Master Audio English 4229 kbps 7.1 / 48 kHz / 4229 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    What's the difference between encoding TrueHD into 640kbps 5.1 or extracting that core 640kbps, 5.1 using eac3to? What advantages are there between those two approaches just to get AC3 out of TrueHD audio on Blu-Ray, did anybody try to hear the differences, if there are any?
    In my experience, if I encode TrueHD / Atmos using FFmpeg, the ac3 sound louder than the extracted ac3
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by anana View Post
    In my experience, if I encode TrueHD / Atmos using FFmpeg, the ac3 sound louder than the extracted ac3
    If I'm re-encoding multichannl audio as multichannel audio I tend not to change the volume in the process. Does ffmpeg normalise? That'd tend to increase the volume a little.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Some great info here, much appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  13. I came across this thread: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7168&start=15 . In general it's about confusing bits in makeMKV GUI and possible fixes, but the posts there can give some helpful hints.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    If I'm re-encoding multichannl audio as multichannel audio I tend not to change the volume in the process. Does ffmpeg normalise? That'd tend to increase the volume a little.
    Here's the info:
    TrueHD/AC3 (Atmos), 7.1 channels, 48kHz (embedded: AC3, 5.1 channels, 448kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB)

Extraction settings:
    eac3to "C:\Users\User\Desktop\00466.m2ts" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\out.thd+ac3"

eac3to "C:\Users\User\Desktop\out.thd+ac3" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\core.ac3"

encoding settings:
    ffmpeg -y -threads 12 -loglevel fatal -i out.thd+ac3 -ac 23 -ar 48000 -f sox - | sox --multi-threaded --ignore-length -S -t sox - -t sox - | ffmpeg -y -threads 12 -f sox -i - -b:a 448k -ac 6 -ar 48000 encode.ac3
    or
    ffmpeg -i out.thd+ac3 -c:a ac3 -ac 6 -b:a 448k -r:a 48000 encode_2.ac3

without normalise input command

Here's the comparison
    http://i.cubeupload.com/9DQcUc.png

The ac3 encode sounds louder & more like dts (in crash scene) than the ac3 core

-> The fact, not all TrueHD / Atmos contain AC3/DD5.1 core, it's because:

1. Remux to mkv using mkvmerge.
    Mkvmerge can't mux the TrueHD / Atmos that contain AC3/DD5.1 core, it just can mux the TrueHD / Atmos stream and the AC3/DD5.1 core stream separately. It's really annoying

2. Using this command
    eac3to "C:\Users\User\Desktop\00466.m2ts" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\out.thd"
    proper:

3. The source itself
    Last edited by anana; 15th Sep 2015 at 05:52.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Probably metadata are different (dialogue normalization, RF vs Line mode and few other things). Itself ffmpeg should not modify any level (you need use audio filter explicitly to do this).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Itself ffmpeg should not modify any level (you need use audio filter explicitly to do this).
    I agree
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Unlike DTS, True HD doesn't have a "core" of AC3, but rather uses AC3 as an optional fallback.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by anana View Post
    Extraction settings:

Those are encoding cmd lines, not demuxing, is it not? To extract stream you'd need something like:
    Code:
    eac3to.exe  "H:\BDMV" 1)   3: "Z:\destination\extract.THD+AC3"
    or
    Code:
    eac3to.exe  "00001.m2ts"  3: "Z:\destination\extract.THD+AC3"
    where 3: is stream track number and 1) is title number
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Unlike DTS, True HD doesn't have a "core" of AC3, but rather uses AC3 as an optional fallback.

Scott
    Yes, you're right
    ac3/dd5.1 isn't TrueHD / Atmos core, but TrueHD / Atmos spec required to embed the ac3/dd5.1 core (for optional fallback)

Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Originally Posted by anana View Post
    Extraction settings:

Those are encoding cmd lines, not demuxing, is it not? To extract stream you'd need something like:
    Code:
    eac3to.exe  "H:\BDMV" 1)   3: "Z:\destination\extract.THD+AC3"
    or
    Code:
    eac3to.exe  "00001.m2ts"  3: "Z:\destination\extract.THD+AC3"
    where 3: is stream track number and 1) is title number
    No, it isn't. My commad and yours produce the same TrueHD file (just check the hash files)
    Your commands just more specific
    Last edited by anana; 15th Sep 2015 at 17:50.
    Quote Quote  
  20. ok, I try it when there is a time, but further, concerning extracting core from already demuxed stream:
    Code:
    eac3to  "C:\Users\User\Desktop\out.thd+ac3" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\core.ac3" -core
    suppose to be the same as your cmd line as well? What specifies that eac3to extracts that core, that looks like set up for default encoding or something, your line:
    Code:
    Last edited by _Al_; 15th Sep 2015 at 18:23.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    ok, I try it when there is a time, but further, concerning extracting core from already demuxed stream:
    Code:
    eac3to  "C:\Users\User\Desktop\out.thd+ac3" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\core.ac3" -core
    suppose to be the same as your cmd line as well? What specifies that eac3to extracts that core, that looks like set up for default encoding or something, your line:
    Code:
    Ok, I already checked it. Once again, your command and mine produce the identical ac3 core file (you can check the hash again)
    Quote Quote  
  22. So eac3to does not extract core at all, rather it encodes it anyway? Not sure about True-HD now, but the same happens even if trying to get core out from DTS MA. What is the purpose of -core flag anyway then?
    Quote Quote  
  23. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    So eac3to does not extract core at all, rather it encodes it anyway?
    By default, eac3to does not reencode, it only demuxes, OR/AND changes some metadata in the frame headers
    (decoding bitdepth for DTS, dialnorm for AC3).
    Quote Quote  
  24. ok, if there is a switch -384 for example, it encodes to 384 kbps, if no switch is present, default is 640kbps, but in bot cases, there is some encoding involved even if -core switch is present only. Log file with just -core switch looks like this:
    Code:
    DTS Master Audio, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48kHz
    (core: DTS, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 1509kbps, 48kHz)
    Extracting DTS core...
    Decoding with ArcSoft DTS Decoder...
    Remapping channels...
    Encoding AC3 <640kbps> with libAften...
    Creating file "Z:\destinatin\core.AC3"...
    The original audio track has a constant bit depth of 24 bits.
    eac3to processing took 4 minutes, 55 seconds.
    Done.
    I do not have TrueHD handy right now, only DTSMA but that might be the same. What is that encoding line in log file for then? 24bit to 16bit or something?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    So eac3to does not extract core at all, rather it encodes it anyway?
    By default, eac3to does not reencode, it only demuxes, OR/AND changes some metadata in the frame headers
    (decoding bitdepth for DTS, dialnorm for AC3).
    Yeah, it just demux the embedded ac3 core from truehd (truehd doesn't have any core)
    no encode anyway
    Last edited by anana; 16th Sep 2015 at 17:19.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I got a hint from the other thread concerning DTS MA, target must be *.DTS with -core switch in eac3to cmd line, then just core is extracted. If the target is *.AC3, then that core is encoded to 640kbps AC3. Do not want to bring confusion here, this is a thread about True HD+AC3, not DTSMA though.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    I got a hint from the other thread concerning DTS MA, target must be *.DTS with -core switch in eac3to cmd line, then just core is extracted. If the target is *.AC3, then that core is encoded to 640kbps AC3. Do not want to bring confusion here, this is a thread about True HD+AC3, not DTSMA though.
    Here's my new test result:

Code:
    eac3to "C:\Users\User\Desktop\a.mkv" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\dtshd.dts"
    just demux the dts-hd, not the dts core

Code:
    eac3to "C:\Users\User\Desktop\a.mkv" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\core.dts" -core
    demux the dts core

Code:
    eac3to "C:\Users\User\Desktop\dtshd.dts" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\dtshd_2.dts"
    just copy the file, no demux / encode

Code:
    eac3to "C:\Users\User\Desktop\00466.m2ts" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\core.ac3"
    demux the ac3 core (remember, it's just embedded ac3 core, not TrueHD's core)

Code:
    eac3to "C:\Users\User\Desktop\TrueHD.thd+ac3" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\core_2.ac3"
    demux the ac3 core (same hash, as shown above -> C:\Users\User\Desktop\core.ac3)

Code:
    eac3to "C:\Users\User\Desktop\TrueHD.thd" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\encode.ac3"
    encode to 640k

Code:
    eac3to "C:\Users\User\Desktop\core_2.ac3" "C:\Users\User\Desktop\core_3.ac3"
    just copy the file, no encode
    Last edited by anana; 20th Sep 2015 at 05:38.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Great, thanks for making it clear!
    Quote Quote