VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey - longtime lurker, first time poster. sorta. Had an account here eons ago that I can't remember the password to, with a ton of quite cringe-filled posts.. felt I may as well start anew.

The issue: I have a 23fps source (not film, shot for TV in 23fps) that I'm attempting to burn to DVD via DVDStyler. Thing is, I can't tell if it's adding the proper pulldown flags or not.. tried MediaInfo, no real luck either way, as I'm unsure if it even supports finding those. And, if it isn't adding pulldown flags, what would be the best way to go out about it?

I have the DVDStyler project, the MPEGs from it, the final VIDEO_TS folder, and the original mkv files (which I captured from Amazon myself, after purchasing the show in question; felt I should share that this was legally purchased, for obvious reasons), but I'm unsure where the best place would be to add the pulldown. Added a small clip, if anyone wants to check it out. Help of any kind would be greatly appreciated
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mediainfo says the m2v is interlaced, what was does mediainfo say about the source?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Mediainfo says the m2v is interlaced, what was does mediainfo say about the source?
    The source mkv files are progressive 23fps, I know that for a fact. Can still post the info from mediainfo, if wanted. I dunno why, but I set them to be interlaced in DVDStyler.. once I figure out the pulldown problem, I'll likely redo the DVD in progressive format.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The m2v file has 23.976 fps progressive frames encoded interlaced. It is not DVD compatible. What you want is 23.976 fps progressive frames, encoded progressive, with 3:2 pulldown flags:
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Apr 2018 at 19:37.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The m2v file has 23.976 fps progressive frames encoded interlaced. It is not DVD compatible. What you want is 23.976 fps progressive frames, encoded progressive, with 3:2 pulldown flags:
    That looks great! Where/how did you add the pulldown flags, if you don't mind my asking?

Originally Posted by Eltina View Post
    How does Burnware free work for you?
    Works fine for me, not exactly sure how that'd help though, outside of burning the disc. Been using it for a few months, actually.

An idea actually struck me this morning, although I'm not sure if it'd work.. could I:

- Demux the video from the episode MPEGs
    - Add pulldown flags with DGPulldown
    - Remux back with audio with DGIndex(dunno if this is the proper program, gonna have to look into it)
    - Send the MPEGs through DVDStyler in place of my MKVs without any re-encoding, keeping the flags present

I figure it'd work fine, but I'd love some advice from ones with experience.
    Last edited by MrColeslaw; 9th Apr 2018 at 16:33.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by MrColeslaw View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The m2v file has 23.976 fps progressive frames encoded interlaced. It is not DVD compatible. What you want is 23.976 fps progressive frames, encoded progressive, with 3:2 pulldown flags:
    That looks great! Where/how did you add the pulldown flags, if you don't mind my asking?
    I encoded with HcGui -- which has a pulldown option. Another way to do it is to encode 23.976 fps progressive, then use DgPulldown to add pulldown flags.
    Quote Quote