VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a 0-255 source file. Without using CCE or AVISYNTH, I need to convert this to a 16-235 output MPEG file.

The source is an MPEG file that was encoded improperly (0-255).

I played with TMPGENC, but the "Output YUV data as Basic YCrCb not CCIR601" was no help. It re-increased the 0-255 values, thus putting me twice as far from my goal (test encode was used, my source is still fine). Like I've said many times, that settings alters a 8/16-235 range to 0-255, which is bad for encoding for DVD.

What can be used to recompress the luma range back down to the proper 16-235 specs. This is something I've forgotten how to do. Should have written it down from last time.

Any ideas.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know you said no AviSynth but I know you use TMPGEnc and AviSynth does work with TMPGEnc

There is an AviSynth command as such:

ColorYUV("PC->TV")

This is to convert 0-255 to 16-235

Also maybe the VirtualDubMod filter called LEVELS can do this. You can set the input to 0-255 and the output to 16-235 etc.

I have no experience though using the VirtualDubMod filter.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I converted the MPEG1 to MPEG2 in TMPGENC (all other settings left alone), and then ran the MPEG through DVD2AVI, changing the colorspace. Saved a D2V, opened in TMPGENC, and then re-encoded new file to MPEG1.

Burning my test right now.

No, re-encoding won't hurt the file. There's not much left to hurt. This is one of those extreme restorations, compounded by stupid encoding by another person.

UPDATE: The test came out fine. That'll do it for me. Probably not ideal for perfect source, but for what I've got to work with, nothing to worry about.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote