VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

Just spent an entire day reading all the threads and did not find a solution to my problem. I'm currently trying to import MiniDV tapes from a Sony DCR-HC30 to a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) using macOS Catalina (tried IMovie, FCP, LifeFlix and Quicktime).
    I'm running the typical daisy-chain Firewire 4 pin (connected to Sony) to 6 pin, Firewire 400 to 800 adaptor, Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter.
    The Sony camera is set to A/V DV OUT and in "Play/Edit mode".
    The software recognized the camera, but no image is shown and the software also cannot control the camera (rewind, fast-forward etc). Even the recognition is faulty, sometimes it indicates the camera is a source, sometimes not. I've read in a few other sources that Catalina might be the culprit but I'm not sure.
    It could be the camera, but I've used it in the past to capture MiniDVs into an IMac and it worked smoothly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance from Brazil!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by felipeccfrodrigues View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just spent an entire day reading all the threads and did not find a solution to my problem. I'm currently trying to import MiniDV tapes from a Sony DCR-HC30 to a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) using macOS Catalina (tried IMovie, FCP, LifeFlix and Quicktime).
    I'm running the typical daisy-chain Firewire 4 pin (connected to Sony) to 6 pin, Firewire 400 to 800 adaptor, Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter.
    The Sony camera is set to A/V DV OUT and in "Play/Edit mode".
    The software recognized the camera, but no image is shown and the software also cannot control the camera (rewind, fast-forward etc). Even the recognition is faulty, sometimes it indicates the camera is a source, sometimes not. I've read in a few other sources that Catalina might be the culprit but I'm not sure.
    It could be the camera, but I've used it in the past to capture MiniDVs into an IMac and it worked smoothly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance from Brazil!
    try setting AV to off - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3514233
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the prompt response.

I’ve should have mentioned it earlier, but had already tried toggling AV DV OUT on and off... still doesn’t work.

Trying a different cable today, let’s see it if works...

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ::QUICK UPDATE::

Solved it! It was just a faulty firewire cable.
    Quote Quote