VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have authored some DVDs that play fine on my Sceptre TV/DVD until near the end, then they freeze, start playing again, then freeze. The file is more than two hours in running time, and, I'm using Verbatim DVD+R's that I bought off of CompUSA's ebay store (I think.) I don't beleive that they are the life series. The programs I've used are VSO Convertx to DVD (6.00.24, 6.00.65,) Nero Classic 2016, and, I beleive One Click DVD. The video quality is good, even when they freeze. Other DVD's I've authroized, that have the about the same, or, less running time haven't had this problem.
    Could my discs have developed a problem from just sitting in their cake box, near my computer, have I just run into a bad bunch, or, does the DVD player in my TV needed cleaning? Any suggestions will be welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    The symptoms you are describing are from poor quality discs, or poor burns, or a combination thereof. Even Verbatim AZO discs will have a few duds from time to time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    may not hurt to clean both your computer and TV dvd drives.
    then it may be that your computer's dvd drive or TV DVD laser may be dying.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Did you verify the discs after you burned them?

I had an issue with DVDs failing to verify near the end of a long track. Turned out I had a dying burner, since replaced.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to occasionally get that problem

i cured it ? by slightly reducing the bitrate, setting a custom size in avstodvd of 4400mb instead of default 4700
    and using a 4x or 6x burn rate on almost everything

making the folder/image.iso a little bit smaller so it does NOT need to burn all the way to the edge, and the slower burner rate instead of MAX speed allowed
    burns a better disc for me, internal drive or external LG drive, i do it this way
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    October262 you answered one thought I had after reading Kerry56's reply. I at least HAD a DVD lens cleaning disc. I'll have to look through the storage area of my computer desk and see if I can find it. ConstantGardner, since once or twice I ejected a disc that Convertx had finished writing to, but not finished, I thought that might be the problem. But in my latest attempt, I let Nero go through it's complete process, and, still expereinced the problem. And, since it seems to only happen with relatively long playing files, I DOUBT if my burner is dying.
    Kerry56, if cleaning my drive, and, my TV's DVD player doesn't fix the problem, then would the problem more than likely be my stock of discs? If so, I may buy a new supply from Amazon (have a Prime membership, might as well use it.) Seen Verbatim discs labeled "digital movie" is that label just puffery, or, are they (somewhat) more suited for burning movies to?
    Quote Quote  
  7. The only Verbatims worth buying are the ones marked AZO somewhere on the wrapper, preferably the shiny silver instead of the white inkjet printables. Verbatim has been phasing AZO out slowly but surely, it is getting harder and harder to tell which package contains generic discs and which contain AZO (the -R both use identical orange and purple graphics, the +R purple and lavender). At my local Micro Center, I've learned how to dig thru the piles of lookalike 100-ct spindles and hunt down the AZOs. Currently, of the two lookalike versions, only the AZO is packaged in a cakebox with a lip on the bottom (the crap discs are in a symmetrical cylinder with no bottom lip). The AZO discs also have AZO clearly printed under "Verbatim DVD-R (or +R)" or have an oval AZO symbol near the bar code. Then you have the "Life Series" in white wrapper (junk). The "Digital Movie" Verbatims are usually AZO but many have reported burning problems with them (apparently the funky movie reel graphic silkscreened on the top causes grip problems in some drives).

The stuttering symptoms you report could indicate anything: bad burns your player can't read, your player laser may be failing, your burner may be failing, your burning software may be sketchy, etc. Perhaps try a small pak of Verbatim AZO DVD-R istead of the +R you now have: if it works better, switch to that. Also, consider burning your video DVDs with the well-regarded ImgBurn utility. It is much more reliable at burning video dvds than most all-in-one dvd creation apps or Nero. Use your dvd software to create the necessary VIDEO_TS folder, then let ImgBurn burn the disc from that folder. ImgBurn makes sure the low-level disc formatting is optimized for dvd player compatibility, for whatever reason no other burning utility is quite as good at that task. You can download the ad-free version of ImgBurn from the VideoHelp Tools library at this link. You'd be amazed how many "faulty disc" issues are solved by using ImgBurn: it makes more-compatible video dvds, it will immediately reject any blank it thinks is funky, and can be set to auto-verify after burning.
    Last edited by orsetto; 6th Oct 2016 at 20:32.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by agent222 View Post
    October262 you answered one thought I had after reading Kerry56's reply. I at least HAD a DVD lens cleaning disc. I'll have to look through the storage area of my computer desk and see if I can find it. ConstantGardner, since once or twice I ejected a disc that Convertx had finished writing to, but not finished, I thought that might be the problem. But in my latest attempt, I let Nero go through it's complete process, and, still expereinced the problem. And, since it seems to only happen with relatively long playing files, I DOUBT if my burner is dying.
    Kerry56, if cleaning my drive, and, my TV's DVD player doesn't fix the problem, then would the problem more than likely be my stock of discs? If so, I may buy a new supply from Amazon (have a Prime membership, might as well use it.) Seen Verbatim discs labeled "digital movie" is that label just puffery, or, are they (somewhat) more suited for burning movies to?
    how fast are you burning the discs ?? try slowing down the burn speed to 4x
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by agent222 View Post
    Don't bother with that DVD cleaning disc. If you want to clean a DVD burner, you need to disassemble it and clean the lens with a lint free cloth and a small amount of alcohol. Its a lot of trouble and rarely helps, but there is no doubt it has helped on a few occasions that I can recall.

Stuttering at the end of the movie means you're getting problems along the outer edge of the disc. This is almost always due to poor quality discs, or a marginal disc combined with burning too fast. As a general rule, I advise burning at half the rated speed of the disc in a desktop burner...this means 8x for 16x discs. If you are using a slim drive, you might want to cut that speed down to 6x or 4x.

Verbatim AZO discs have been a very good quality product for a long time, but they aren't immune to producing a few bad discs now and again. I've seen it personally on rare occasions.

Using ImgBurn is a good idea. Been using the program for so many years I take its great qualities for granted sometimes.

As to the Digital Movie discs...be careful with those. As has already been pointed out, Verbatim has been slipping in non-AZO discs into that packaging. Without AZO on the label somewhere, you're just getting basic CMC Magnetics discs with a Verbatim name stuck on top.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After using lens cleaning disc on my burner, and, built in player, tried watching the disc that caused me to post. Basically same rsult. Authored a new disc, slowing the burn spped to 8x. Again same result. I may try it on my portable, just to see if it's my burner. But I also thought just to have Nero auhtor the file (as either Video_TS, or, as an iso,) then having imgburn, or, similar burn it. Trouble is, from the main Nero Video menu, I don't see how to do it. Does anybody know how, or, if I can do this with Nero? Or, should I just give up converting and burning large files with anything except the avstodvd suite?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you copying dvds from the original store bought disc to blank disc's ??
    What decrypter are you using ?? The symptoms you describe can also be the
    result of some sort of copy protection that is not being removed properly.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What you have is a combination of errors being the usage of Dvd+r and maxing iso content to fill blank media to near capacity

Use Dvd-r only (more compatible than dvd+r) and reduce max file to 4200mb should cure your issues
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    What you have is a combination of errors being the usage of Dvd+r and maxing iso content to fill blank media to near capacity
    I almost always max out the capacity of my Taiwanese Verbatim AZO MCC 004 DVD+R's (which is precisely 4482.625 MiB) by up to less than 2 MiB left. Never had any issues playing the outermost parts...

Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Use Dvd-r only (more compatible than dvd+r) and reduce max file to 4200mb should cure your issues
    Limiting yourself to a lower capacity just avoids the issue but is merely a cure.

The cure would be good media and a good burner (no laptop drives) + ImgBurn.

Also, you really can't say DVD-R works better in general. It comes down to the combination of media and burner whether plus or minus work better – if it makes a difference at all.
    Regarding compatibility, setting the Booktype of +R discs to DVD-ROM cures that, but it is an issue with few and very old players only anyway.
    Last edited by Skiller; 9th Oct 2016 at 10:09.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The discs that caused me to post, have come out to be slightly less than full capacity of an DVD-5, I can see a little uncut space. I'd try your tricks, but I don't see where in Nero I could make such adjustments. I did manage to adjust the burn rate. But unfortunately, the ultimate result was the same, both on my TV's built in player, and, my portable player as well. Since some months back I burned a similar sized file-using Convertx, using the same pack of discs, and, had no problems, and, have authroized a few smaller projects, with no problems that I recall, a few months ago. I'm "deducing" that my burner IS starting to fail. Fortunately, the replacement costs for a new drive is relatively inexpensive, and, the drives have high ratings from those who bother to give reviews on their purchases. Just have to get my "computer guy" (read my nephew,) to put it in. Of course, I'd like to hear others thoughts on my "deduction."
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On a chance, downloaded and installed the latest AVS to DVD suite. Took the file that I had been authoring DVDs that "suttered" near the end, and, had the suite create an disc image (iso to the uniititated., of this file. Had Imgburn burn this image to disc at 8x. I watched the whole file from begining to well past the point all previous attempts had teh disc stutter. I am presuming that the elimination of the suttering was due to having a disc image created and burned, So maybe I don't need a new DVD burner. Others opinon would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote