VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I am trying to add the usual opaque box to .ass and .ssa files.

I have the same problem on both.

If i try to set the Borderstyle to 3, this is what happens

[Attachment 41626 - Click to enlarge]

As you can see, it looks like two different boxes overlaying on each other (you see the darker part where the two line cross each other).

If I change the Borderstyle to 4 (as often suggested to make the box look as one), here is what happens:

[Attachment 41627 - Click to enlarge]

In this case the box looks good, but the writing suddenly changes showing an ugly shadow.

It's days I'm trying to fix this.

How can I add the usual translucent box we see on many professional subs correctly?

I created the subs on Aegisub (on a Mac).

Thanks to everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If your player doesn't "correctly" handle borderstyle 4 it needs to be fixed in the player or upstream at libass (depending on where the bug is). If you cannot rely on that you have to manually draw boxes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What's libass?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Subtitle library used by many players to render ASS subtitles.

https://github.com/libass/libass
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for your help.

Actually I tried one player only, because my main purpose is to create subs that can be burned into the video with the grey translucent box as well, which is not possible with SRT subs.

Using a Mac doesn't help either (can't find a software to burn in ASS and SSA subs).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    If your player doesn't "correctly" handle borderstyle 4 it needs to be fixed in the player or upstream at libass (depending on where the bug is). If you cannot rely on that you have to manually draw boxes.
    I still don't get what you mean with "upstream at libass".
    Quote Quote  
  7. I mean report it to the libass developers. When they fix something in libass the fix goes "downstream" to other software that are using libass. Like possibly your player or encoding software like HandBrake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstream_(software_development)
    Quote Quote