VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Basically what this mean is not if - is better than + or vice versa..

What I'm asking is something like - Prodisc better or worse than its +? It seems that with some it's their - that is good while the + sucks, for some it seems to be the other way around.

Anyone have a good rule of thumb with brands or a good place to look at the different qualities among same branded discs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would really depend on what your standalone dvd player can play. Older standalone dvd players can not playback the + media. Only way it could is if you use a dvd burner that has bitsetting capability like NEC or LITEON burners. Use whatever media works well for you. DVD-R is more compatible with older standalone dvd players.
    Quote Quote  
  3. And some burners also have a tendency to burn one format better than the other.
    Blah, blah, blah
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And some burners also have a tendency to burn one format better than the other.
    Yup, the Liteon drives tend to like the DVD+R MEDIA than DVD-R. I only bought my Liteon 411s because it was dirt cheap. Dunno if I'd buy another Liteon drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The complication with this question is that some media brands use different manufacturers for their - and + disks. For instance, Memorex for a while used CMC (crappy) for their - disks and (I think) Ricoh (good) for their + disks. This has changed, and will probably change again.
    Others do the same thing, so you would have to, at the very least, put each - and + disks into a drive and run DVDinfoPro to find out who makes them. In addition, some older disks might be made by one manufacturer and new ones made by another.
    It's a moving target. Whatever answers you get today could change tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is an interesting perspective on + vs - manufacturing processes and quality: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=683372&postcount=86
    Quote Quote