VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've just plugged my Sony TRV19 into my computer for the first time and can't work out how to capture the DV footage with the USB cable provided?

The software that comes with it (ImageMixer) seems less than useless. I captured using that and ended up with an MPG1 file at 320 x 240. Hardly worth having a miniDV camera!!

I'm shocked if that's all the supplied software can do, but never mind. I wasn't expecting much from the bundled software.

I then tried WinDV, but I'm guessing that can't do anything without a firewire cable (not supplied).

Is it possible to get the DV footage using the USB cable supplied, or is the bundled package just completely useless?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bundled software isn't exactly completely useless, just useless for transferring DV. You must have a fire wire cable to transfer DV from your camera to your computer.

So your computer must have a fire wire card, or built in fire wire port. Remember, the cable has to match the port of your camera (possibly a four-pin) and match your system (most likely a six-pin). They are relatively cheap these days so hurry down to your local video store to pick one up, if you have the rest of the equipment listed.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I do have everything else I need.

I'm just very surprised that they sell a DV camera without a firewire cable if that's the only way to get the bloody DV quality content out of it! What's the cocking point of USB2 if it can only get 320x240 MPG1 files out of your lovely new miniDV camera??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even USB1 is capable of transfering DV. USB1 has a max transfer rate of 12 mb/s, whereas DV is 3.5 mb/s. Some of the older cameras used USB because it was cheaper than firewire at the time. Some cameras still use USB to transfer stills to the PC.

That it doesn't come with the firewire cable is not uncommon. Most cameras don't ship with one unless they include a card as well. It has been common practice among printer manufacturers to ship their printers without cables since the dawn of time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DV is actually 3.6 MBytes/s or 29 Mbits/s so USB1 isn't going to do. USB2 will (and firewire, of course).

Yeah it is a bit stiff from the hardware companies to sell you a several hundreds worth of kit and not include a cable but such is life. It's not just Sony. No one does it. I've only seen one exception - Pinnacle with the MovieBox (but I didn't like the product, so there you go).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Daminator
    What's the cocking point of USB2 if it can only get 320x240 MPG1 files out of your lovely new miniDV camera??
    The USB cable is probably for transferring still pictures.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Daminator
    I've just plugged my Sony TRV19 into my computer for the first time and can't work out how to capture the DV footage with the USB cable provided?

Is it possible to get the DV footage using the USB cable supplied, or is the bundled package just completely useless?
    NOW,you can't capture using USB, that is for pictures, or to use the camcorder as a web cam.

buy a firewire cable, plug it into a firewire card, and that's it....
    Quote Quote  
  8. buy a firewire cable, plug it into a firewire card, and that's it....
    I realise that from what's been written. I just think it's crap that everything you need to do it isn't in the box.

Ah well, I'll survive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    buy a firewire cable, plug it into a firewire card, and that's it....
    I realise that from what's been written. I just think it's crap that everything you need to do it isn't in the box.

Ah well, I'll survive.
    Yes, but don't forget that it's still a small percentage of people that are actually using the DV to PC interface.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by MpegEncoder
    Yes, but don't forget that it's still a small percentage of people that are actually using the DV to PC interface.
    Hmmm. I've started to canvass interest in folks around here about VHS/8mm to DVD conversions but I decided against advertising that I would do DV. This was based on the assumption that anyone that has a DV camcorder already has the necessary hardware and knowledge to turn their footage into a DVD. Is this not the case?

*edit* What are people doing with DV then?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are people doing with DV? The same as they did with their 8mm, Hi-8, VHS-C, etc, they are plugging the analogue out into their TV and watching their footage. Some get really adventurous and plug the analogue into their VCR and copy to VHS tape!

That is why you get all the analogue cables supplied when you buy a camcorder but not the Firewire. The vast majority of buyers have no need for it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Daminator
    I'm just very surprised that they sell a DV camera without a firewire cable if that's the only way to get the bloody DV quality content out of it! What's the cocking point of USB2 if it can only get 320x240 MPG1 files out of your lovely new miniDV camera??
    The point is Sony wants you to return to the retailer where you bought your cam after you figure out USB won't work all that well and plunk down circa 40 bucks for their i.Link cable.

Making money on these things is all about getting you to purchase a smattering of high-margin accessories, such as Memory sticks, extra batteries, cables, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. And they want $30.00 for a firewire. I think that's outrageous to pay that kind of money for a wire. Am I the only one that thinks this way. Also, when I connected my new 6.1 amp to my DVD player I had to buy an optical cable that was not supplied either and that set me back $49.00 plus tax at Best Buy. Crazy isn't it?.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by rcguy
    .....when I connected my new 6.1 amp to my DVD player I had to buy an optical cable that was not supplied either and that set me back $49.00 plus tax at Best Buy. Crazy isn't it?.
    No doubt! OTOH, would these joints even be in existence if, for whatever reason, they weren't able to sell stuff like cables and other accessories? I mean, I have often wondered how many printer cables stores have to sell to get the same gross profit (in terms of actual dollars) they get when they sell a printer (I'm thinking like maybe one cable).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can find Firewire cables on internet for less than $10.

Frustrating to have to buy a cable. But you also have to buy tapes, new softwares, DVDRs... This is an expensive game.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Sugar
    You can find Firewire cables on internet for less than $10.
    That's true. In fact, I got one off ebay (using Buy It Now) for $1.95 plus $3.95 shipping. I also ordered one from an online reseller for $2.95 plus shipping.

It took about 2 weeks to get the one from ebay and about 10 days to get the one from the reseller. I got tired of waiting so I went out and bought a $29.99 Belkin from BB. I now have three 6-pin to 4-pin cables.

The problem is that once people realize a cable doesn't come in the box, they're hosed.......being forced to buy the overpriced cable from a retailer or waiting for delivery after ordering online. Most people probably want to start transferring right away and don't want to wait for the cable to arrive via USPS so they run out and buy one. I strongly suspect the B&M folk are aware of the foregoing and take full advantage.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by tag
    The point is Sony wants you to return to the retailer where you bought your cam after you figure out USB won't work all that well and plunk down circa 40 bucks for their i.Link cable.

Making money on these things is all about getting you to purchase a smattering of high-margin accessories, such as Memory sticks, extra batteries, cables, etc.
    THAT is SO TRUE......
    Quote Quote