VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have configured Darwin streaming server, and trying to stream quicktime / mov videos converted using FFMPEG, but they don't seem to be streaming. Streaming server gives "Unsupported Media Type" error.

I tried with all available video codecs for quicktime -

mpeg4
    libx264
    svq1
    mjpeg

but the problem persisted with all of them.

Does FFMPEG not have capability of generating streamable quicktime renditions ??

thanks,
    Rajiv
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's not mainly in the codec, it's mainly in the container. This has to do with 1) the index of timecodes being put in an atom at the beginning of the file, 2) the presence (or absence) of a hinting track, 3) the presence (or absence) of other Quicktime-specific flags/atoms that signal to Darwin server that it is proper to stream with, and to a much lesser extent, 4) the interleave of V+A+H+TC in proper packetized sizes to make it easier to stream.

You've got to remember, the QT capability in ffmpeg is likely reverse-engineered from the MP4 spec and work with Hex Editors+AtomViewer, so it may not get everything correct.

My hunch is that NO, ffmpeg does NOT generate valid streamable QT renditions.
    Though you might be able to remux them into correct format using QT Pro.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Scott ...
    Quote Quote