VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    All,

I'm looking for guidance on setting up an easy to use system (preferably around $2-3000) for capturing 2 HDMI video sources (1080p30), assembling them as 2 "tiles" on the screen, then outputting to ultimately a 1080p video and DVD (480p). The DVD could be processed separately, but it would be awesome if the video was available in real time as well.

I feel like, relatively speaking, this is pretty basic:
    - HDMI Source 1: Capture a speaker from a video camera (still looking for the best camera here as it's from about 50 feet away in a poorly lit auditorium)
    - HDMI Source 2: Direct feed from the speakers computer to show powerpoint/etc.
    - Audio Stream 1: Direct feed from in-house audio system mixer board.

- Processing required: Scale/tile both video sources so the presentation material is larger in the top left corner of the screen, and have a smaller tile in the bottom right corner on the speaker. Output this processed video in 1080p via HDMI (to external monitors) and also save as an mp4/h624 file for later upload/streaming/etc. A static image in the background would be nice as well to fill in the black space.

- Nice to have's:
    1) Output simultaneously the same video scaled down to 480p and ready for burning to DVD. ideally this would also be an mp4/h624 file for space saving..I realize it would need to be converted to DVD standard via some other process to be written to DVD...and I'm not concerned about the quality losses that will result.
    2) Be able to live stream the processed video.

I think in order to find an appliance that does the required tasks I'm going to pay through the nose, so it looks like I'm in the Computer/HDMI capture card territory. I've already heard good things about using OBS for outputting multiple streams and live-streaming video, and I think my best best would be using a desktop with a pci-e interface card. I would love to just use a single card with 2 HDMI inputs, but the only one I can find there is the magewell which is about $600 and probably does far more than I need. There's also a magewell eco with an M2 interface that is about $400 that has dual hdmi input. If someone knows of a dedicated hardware appliance that will do this, however, please let me know as I'm trying to go with something that is as dependable and easy to use as possible!

For the audio that's an easy solution..I've already got the audio input from the mixer board piped into the area and can convert that to whatever cable needed for the audio interface. For the direct feed from the presenters laptop that's also not a problem..I'll use an HDMI splitter for the HDMI that's already going to the projector and feed it back to the room where the camera and capture device will be.

The only other unknown is the camera to use to get a clean video feed from a large auditorium with sub-optimal lighting. Since I'm processing the video and saving it elsewhere I don't even need the camera to have the ability to record...I just need a large sensor with a large enough lens to shoot a speaker 50+ feet away (I have been looking at the sony A5100/6000's with a 55-200mm lens as they have been getting good reviews by youtube streamers/etc :P ). I also like that they are not 1000+ dollars. If someone has a recommendation there I'm all ears. I know I need large sensor, large lens for capturing from 50 feet away in low light.

OK..I know that's alot, but I've been looking at all kinds of reviews and I'm suffering from analysis paralysis at the moment... I also know this is REALLY basic need all things considered and I know it's being done all day everyday around the world...so surely there are some nuggets of wisdom I can gain from some of you .
    Last edited by greymalkin; 29th Apr 2020 at 12:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ATEM mini Pro ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    thank you sir! This looks like that thing I knew existed but just couldn't seem to find! I just need to do a little more digging to make sure it will do everything I need it to...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by greymalkin View Post
    thank you sir! This looks like that thing I knew existed but just couldn't seem to find! I just need to do a little more digging to make sure it will do everything I need it to...
    If it won't, you need to spend much money your budget is planned at.
    There are lots of YT videos allready, It's a new device, the previous model, without the "Pro" has some features less, but is mostly already sold out.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    awesome..yes I was mainly looking to make sure both pictures in the PIP were fully customizable as far as size/position and the answer is YES...so down the YouTube rabbit hole I go so I can start learning how to use it. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to be of help, maybe you should compair both the ATEM mini and the ATEM mini Pro, depending on your actual needs, and you can do without the Pro version options, the great differences are the Multiview option and the streaming out of the Pro version directly, some options you can't use at the same time, and it is one other the other, The ATEM software adds more features.
    First plan your total setup, before you decide which Atem mini to buy. there are also some stupid Youtube videos of people who discover they made the wrong choice... their bad...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    For me the pro is the way to go as it includes all the goodness of the regular mini, and adds a built in h264 encoder/local recording to a digital file, and the ability to stream directly to YouTube from the box.

Even if the picture in picture modes don't do EXACTLY what I had in mind, the versatility, dependability, ease of use, an COST makes it the best choice of any of the other things I've looked at so far.

Now I still have to get the video to DVD but that can be done via software OR via some other HDMI 1080p to component 480p scaler to feed right into our DVD recorder..

I'll bet the 1080p h264 file with CLEAN VIDEO will be close in size to our current 480i DVD/MPEG2 file as the current camera being used is ancient and produces incredibly grainy video. When I was asked if I could start streaming it I explained to them the noise would make any sort of live-stream unwatchable, especially since ISP's typically skimp on upload speeds. I'm still on the hunt for the best budget camera/lens to get the cleanest video possible within rea$on .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They say..... if you're a one-man studio operator, you don't need the multiview "mode" then you can use the HDMI video out, but maybe you can somehow do something with the OBS software at some point ? or somehow a video(capture?) pci card you route the video out stream to... you should use good converters,(if needed) the cheaper ones will give quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I know it's been over 2 years but see I never came back and thanked you again/updated on the setup. So this is a thanks again! for you and an update for anyone else out there who may have a similar need but not quite sure what to do...

I have been using the ATEM Mini Pro for almost 2 years...as luck would have it when I finally started getting serious looking for such an appliance it was just being released! It was originally around $700 but now it's around $500 which is an absolute steal for what all is included in there. It is a video switcher, but also has the amazing built in Fairlight audio processor for setting EQ, Compression, Noise Gate, Limiter, etc. etc. as well as some cool color grading/etc.

What I wanted it to be most of all is an APPLIANCE...a SIMPLE to use, bulletproof appliance and so far that's exactly what it's been. Once I got all the settings how I wanted them all I have to do now it turn it on and hit record...could not be simpler. If you accidentally hit a button and don't know how to get back to default settings, just turn it off and back on again ..it keeps the settings saved and those don't get overwritten unless you purposely go through the process of overwriting them.

I started with the picture in picture but after the first recording realized it just looks kind of cheesy...so I just use the auto button to fade between the 2 video sources (speaker and presentation) and that works just fine.

For the camera, I ended up going with the Sony a6300 camera which has been a beautiful upgrade to the 30 year old vhs tank camcorder that was there before. To make the picture even better, we swapped out the lights in the auditorium with all LED panels.

I also had the "requirement" of outputting to DVD at the same time, but also soon realized that's silly and just outdated . I can upload a 1080p video to youtube and have it available to anyone in full HD. If an occasional low tech person asks for a DVD I can easily make one using the amazing free AVStoDVD application. I also have some FFMPEG scripts I wrote for seperating the audio from the video if someone wants .mp3 or .WAV(CD).

Anyways...just want to give a emphatic endorsement of this amazing product. It was everything I was looking for and has really delivered over the past couple years.
    Quote Quote