VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a DVD library of around 420 movies(standard definition). I have ripped all of them to my hard drive(s) (main movie only) in .iso format. I am however trying to conserve some HD space so I would like to re-encode them to another format to hopefully shrink the file size down about 50% without losing much video quality. I usually watch these movies on my projector (~100 inch screen) so any serious quality loss would be undesirable.

Does anybody have any suggestions on which format I can convert to in order to do what I am trying to do? I haven't been on these forums in quite a while and am a little behind in some of the newer tools/formats and what they can do.

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. h.264+AC3. I'd use x264 at CRF 18 or so. Try an easy front end like Xvid4PSP.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try using Handbreak. You can convert it to MKV and it does a good job. It would also convert it down by about 50% and you can even preserve the subtitles and audio tracks..or eliminate them if that is your wish.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was just reading the guide on handbreak and it says that you can only hard encode subtitles. Does this mean that the subtitles are always shown? I would like only the subtitles shown for parts of a movie that are not in english. I think they are called forced subtitles(?)

Can handbreak do this?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It appears that forced subs are on option. This function would be helpful on movies like Star Wars. Click image for larger version

Name:	handbrake.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	4995
    Quote Quote  
  6. Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try this weekend.
    Quote Quote