VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a BD50 containing a collection of short films. I want to divvy them up into two BDR25 discs. I don't want to re-encode anything. I'd like to retain the original menus, and just have the buttons for the removed titles go nowhere, or to a still or something.

This may be a too simple newbie query, but I'm new to BluRay, and don't know the territory. I know how to do this for DVDs with DVD Shrink, which is pretty simple. But as far as I can tell, the available BluRay tools are designed primarily for re-encoding and/or are pretty complicated... (they look intimidating to me, anyway...).

So I'm wondering, first of all, if this is possible. And if so, second, what would be the best tool to do it. And third, whether anyone has tips on the process to accomplish this in their favorite software package.

TIA!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Dividing Blu-ray in two and retaining original menus...not going to happen with any tools I know of.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, then, how about just copying half the titles w/o re-encoding and either making a simple new menu, or something that autoplays the titles sequentially w/o any menu at all (assuming the user can change titles in the player w. the finished disc). Can anyone recommend a straighforward tool/process for that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Rip the movie to the hard drive first using AnyDVD HD. There is a free trial available, or you could also use MakeMKV in Backup mode to get the entire thing to the hard drive.

If every title is contained within its own m2ts file, and is not split across m2ts files, then you could select half of them and import them into BD Rebuilder in Quick Backup mode. Go to File-->Import-->Video Files to bring them into the program. They will have to be located in one folder on the hard drive. BD Rebuilder will make a fairly crude, though functional menu to select the videos in playback. You may want to make new descriptive names for the files in this menu (you can edit it slightly), instead of having something like 002.m2ts or 045.m2ts as the names.

You'll need to insure that your imported files don't go over the size you need to fit the single layer blu ray disc. Else BD Rebuilder will re-encode them. To insure that you don't re-encode the files, you can add this line to the INI/Configuration file in BD Rebuilder: FORCE_NOENCODE=1 But this shouldn't be necessary.

You can preview each file you import by right clicking it in the main window of BD Rebuilder.

Another tool that could be used is MultiAVCHD. It will make much more elaborate menus than BD Rebuilder. I'm just not sure it will refrain from re-encoding the videos. MultiAVCHD is a little twitchy and slow to show pop-up windows as you work with it, so don't get in a hurry when using it.
    Quote Quote