VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    DVD's (vob's) ript to iso are, well iso's. DVD's (vob's) ript to mkv are *.mkv. You cannot 'extract' 'vob' files from mkv anymore??

(quoted) "Simply play that file in VLC, MPC or whatever. " My Argosy player is not a vlc or mpc or whatever player, it plays iso's, vob files, mpeg (<- without subtitles), various audio & image files.

"Why would you do that? Simply play that file in VLC, MPC or whatever." <- my computer is not connected to my tv set. I want to watch movies in my lazy boy on my big screen tv, not in a chair on a computer monitor, even a 27" monitor.

They (files) were video_ts vob's (on a dvd) before they were ript/converted/'contained' to mkv, this cannot be reversed??

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "lazy boy" seems to be just right....
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did someone turn on a 'way-back' machine? Though, it is rather entertaining...
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    They (files) were video_ts vob's (on a dvd) before they were ript/converted/'contained' to mkv, this cannot be reversed??

-c-
    Easily. Import the MKV file into AVStoDVD. It will give you a new DVD-video from the MKV without re-encoding, since it won't re-encode compliant video and audio. Should be quick. You can also make a new menu if you want one.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Import the MKV file into AVStoDVD. It will give you a new DVD-video from the MKV without re-encoding, since it won't re-encode compliant video and audio. Should be quick. You can also make a new menu if you want one.
    But that's a new DVD ISO. It does not have all the contents of the original DVD, only the one title you saved as an MKV file. You'll be missing all the navigation, the lovely antipiracy warning, the menus, the ads, special features, etc.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Feb 2017 at 15:29.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    ^All of that was lost in the making of the MKV. If your starting point is the MKV, then the DVD-video you get from AVStoDVD is the best you're going to do. Not that I'm telling you anything you don't already know jagabo.

If cornemuse wants to rip DVD's with MakeMKV, and still get a DVD-video at the end, this is a convoluted method of doing so. No loss in video or audio quality, but no original menus/extras either.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Would it be wrong to ban a new poster after just one thread, and not only ban him via IP block, ban the ISP he's using, ban the whole DMA he's from, hell just ban the whole country his login in from.

I really do not think that is anywhere near too extreme, not when you see what the consequences of letting people like him post in this forum are.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO, using the term "container" for .mkv is too broad. It should more appropriately be called a "A/V wrapper" since it "wraps" audio, video and subs into a single file. Same with .vob which is a DVD specific "A/V wrapper"

When you use MakeMKV on a Video DVD .iso, it "unwraps" the .vob file (removing the additional data to make it a .vob), leaving an mpeg-2 file that is then "rewrapped" into the .mkv wrapper.

To convert a .mkv into a .vob (which has every specific requirements including a 1gb size limit) you have to remove the .mkv "wrapper" and "rewrap" into a .vob "wrapper" each 1gb max.

OTOH, an .iso is a true "container" since it can "contain" the entire contents of a Video DVD including .jpgs (still images)*.
    *Additional non image files such as .pdfs can also be inlcuded in a separate folder that would have to extacted with a program other tha a DVD ripper.

Note that I specified a "Video DVD" since an .iso can contain data only (e.g. Windows and Linux distros) or data with A/V.

The true "container" aspect of an .iso (allowing A/V, data only (inclduing images) or data+A/V) is why virtual DVD / CD / BD drives exist.
    Last edited by lingyi; 2nd Feb 2017 at 22:47.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To support my "wrapper" terminology, I could put various A/V "wrapper" files, .mkv, .avi. mp4 in a .iso "container" with an auto executable media player or batch file to an external media player and have those files played directly from the virtual drive mounted .iso.

OTOH, if i took that same files put them into an .iso "container", then put THAT .iso into another .iso "container", I would need to put a program to extract the first .iso contents somewhere (usually RAM), then run an internal or external player. This is bascially what a Live Linux distro does (i.e. loads and runs the OS through executable files in RAM).
    Last edited by lingyi; 2nd Feb 2017 at 22:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neomaine View Post
    Hey! My tv is 'Olevia' 9 yrs old, does not 'zoom' 4-3 gboxed movies to full screen (<- watch those on my Dune player).
    Thing is, it has so much better image/colors than most tv's I've looked at, & it still works most excellently, why replace it?? Same with the Argosy player, why replace it??

(I own a 1964 Porsche convertable, should I replace it 'cause its over 50 years old???)

Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

-c-
    Easily. Import the MKV file into AVStoDVD. It will give you a new DVD-video from the MKV without re-encoding, since it won't re-encode compliant video and audio. Should be quick. You can also make a new menu if you want one.
    This is what I was after!! Thanks!!

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Import the MKV file into AVStoDVD. It will give you a new DVD-video from the MKV without re-encoding, since it won't re-encode compliant video and audio. Should be quick. You can also make a new menu if you want one.
    But that's a new DVD ISO. It does not have all the contents of the original DVD, only the one title you saved as an MKV file. You'll be missing all the navigation, the lovely antipiracy warning, the menus, the ads, special features, etc.
    I'm getting quite a collection of dvd's, I rip movie only, I am only interested in the actual movie 99% of the time. The player remembers where I was when turned off, thats all I care about.

-c-

(edit! I turned 70 2 weeks ago, ya'll gonna replace me with something newer/younger??)
    Last edited by cornemuse; 3rd Feb 2017 at 09:14. Reason: feng shui
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    I'm getting quite a collection of dvd's, I rip movie only, I am only interested in the actual movie 99% of the time.
    Then why use MakeMVK followed by AVS2DVD. Just use VOB2MPG to create an MPG file. Your players probably all support that.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Feb 2017 at 09:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by omega1234 View Post
    Thanks for last thread - yes -all the CDs I've used my method for are very old - at least 12 years. If I purchase new DVD player will I need to use double sided Disks or can you recommend some way of shrinking the .iso
    You will all be pleased to know that this will be the end of this thread - particularly our Australian computer Geek!
    I would shrink the ISO to fit on a USB key. In future years, most laser pickups on standalone players will be rendered obsolete by thumb drives. Double-sided discs do exist, but have had issues with the organic dyes sublimating into their constituent parts because of the laser heat in the DVD-ROM. Discs made by Taiyo Yuden never had this issue as they used a special metallic substrate that was tougher than organic dyes.

If you go the thumb drive route as suggested, you will need to ensure that you eject the drive as per Windows rules, or you could render it inactive and lose your movies. Of course, a good backup system will help...I use the simple copy *.* and have never had an issue in my command window.

Let us know how you get on!!!
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  13. As I said, you will have to author it. Use AVStoDVD to make a DVD folder or ISO. Ensure you install the associate programs it needs, particularly ImgBurn and Avisynth https://sourceforge.net/projects/avisynth2
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neomaine View Post
    -c-

(edit! I turned 70 2 weeks ago, ya'll gonna replace me with something newer/younger??)
    Heck no! My reference was only about the discussion of DVD conversion ... nothing about anyone's age, the equipment they own or the car they drive. Couldn't care less about any of them. The discussion simply brought back memories of the VHS, VCD and DVD conversion days of this forum.

If you're happy with what you've got, go for it! I can only hope to be just as technically capable and willing to put myself out there with questions when I have them in another 20 years. God only knows what the 'scene' will morph to be like.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote