VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. newbie here, so not sure if I'm posting this under the right section.

I've saved a DVD onto my PC. It's some old home movie footage that's been professionally transferred onto disk from a VHS tape. I wondered if there was a way to compress the folder size as it's quite large [2.5GB] and I'd like to be able to email it to family.

It's in a folder called 'VIDEO_TS'. The folder contains a few different types of files ... 3 x .BUP 3 x .IFO & 7 x .VOB

I tried compressing the folder into a zip file using windows file explorer. However it made virtually no difference to its overall size.

It should be clear that I am a complete novice at this. I'd appreciate any advice on how I can compress the video folder so I can easily send it via email. Alternatively, could the folder be converted to another format ie mp4??

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Open the VIDEO_TS folder in HandBrake and re-encode it to .mp4 (actually m4v but you can rename that to mp4)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ch1pped View Post
    I wondered if there was a way to compress the folder size as it's quite large [2.5GB] and I'd like to be able to email it to family.
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Open the VIDEO_TS folder in HandBrake and re-encode it to .mp4
    My guess is, you could compress that into the 700-800 MB range. That is still too much for most e-mail systems. As almost any video would be too much for e-mail. Better find a (temporary) host and just link to your .mp4 file that way.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 on uploading to an free online host (e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox). Even if you're able to email a by comparison "smaill" 700-800MB file to someone, it's really bad etiquette to do so. You'd be slowing down and filling up the receipent's inbox.

In addtion, you can convert your files to .mkv using MakeMKV (free) which will retain the quality of the original (if ti's precious enough to share, share the best) and be just as, if not more likely to played by those you're sharing with.
    Quote Quote