VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    not sure if its called Telecine but i have 55 music videos on my computer i want to compress to x264

they are all ntsc and have lines in them from what i can tell they are all 23.976fps video done to 29.976fps

just wanted to know what would be the best setting i could use in handbreak

i wanted to know because i mostly work with videos that are ether pal or ntsc video that is already 23.976
    Last edited by jamespoo; 22nd Jun 2016 at 19:21.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Filters -> Detelecine
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Filters -> Detelecine
    i will give it a try do i click deinterlace or decomb ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think Neither one

deinterlace removes Fields
    decomb removes misaligned Fields that produce the jaggy 'COMB' effect on moving objects

you want detelecine which changes the frame rate, removing the "frame display duplicate shift count" (best way i can describe it) , used when 23.976 is changed to 29.976
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    I think Neither one

deinterlace removes Fields
    decomb removes misaligned Fields that produce the jaggy 'COMB' effect on moving objects

you want detelecine which changes the frame rate, removing the "frame display duplicate shift count" (best way i can describe it) , used when 23.976 is changed to 29.976
    None of your definitions are close to accurate.

Handbrake's deinterlace filter doesn't remove any fields. It converts each of the two fields in the frame into its own full-height progressive frame.

Handbrake's decomb filter looks at each pixel of each frame of a video, then only converts the individual fields into separate frames when the frame shows visible amounts of combing. Otherwise, both fields in the frame are used together to create a single progressive frame.

According to Handbrake's documentation, the detelecine filter :
    looks at every frame of the source video. It visually analyzes the video and looks for fields that can be woven together in ways that form progressive frames. For example, with NTSC hard telecined material, pullup sees that pattern of progressive-progressive-interlaced-interlaced-progressive and that the interlaced frames' fields can be swapped to create frames that show less combing. Each time it encounters that situation, it deinterlaces the frames that need it and makes a guess as to where the "breaks" in the pattern are. This lets it know which frames are the duplicates that should be dropped from a source.
    [Edit]Also, having checked what Handbrake's UI does when detelecine is selected, jamespo has no choice but to select deinterlace or decomb when using detelecine. It isn't possible to leave both of them unselected. I'm guessing that deinterlace would be preferred because it is on by default, but it might be best to wait for an answer from someone who uses Handbrake more often than I do.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Jun 2016 at 01:29.
    Quote Quote  
  6. My guess is the music videos are interlaced and setting the deinterlace filter to "Bob" would be the best bet, to output 59.940fps progressive, or set it to "slower" for 29.970fps progressive, which won't look as smooth, but it's all guesswork. Is this original DVD video (or similar) or something someone else has already re-encoded and potentially made a complete mess of?

If you can't work out the best Handbrake setting, it might pay to upload a sample.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    My guess is the music videos are interlaced and setting the deinterlace filter to "Bob" would be the best bet, to output 59.940fps progressive, or set it to "slower" for 29.970fps progressive, which won't look as smooth, but it's all guesswork. Is this original DVD video (or similar) or something someone else has already re-encoded and potentially made a complete mess of?

If you can't work out the best Handbrake setting, it might pay to upload a sample.

they are all dvd vob files
    Quote Quote  
  8. If the lines come and go in a 2:3 pattern then the source was probably originally "film" and I assume the detelicine filter should give you 23.976fps progressive. If you're seeing the lines in every frame then it's probably interlaced "video" and I'd go with setting the de-interlace filter to Bob instead for 59.940fps progressive.

Handbrake's decomb filter both detelicines and de-interlaces and is designed for DVDs that are a combination of "film" and "video" and will output a variable frame rate.

It's impossible to give specific advice without a sample as it involves a fair degree of crystal ball gazing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    use ripbot batch tool and select tff deinterlance.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unusually quiet
    Thank you for the explanation on handbrakes operation
    Quote Quote