VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all. I have had weird issue for a bit now. Windows 7 Ultimate explorer is not showing some networked items here at home. They all appear on other machines on my network. For example, my QNAP and Synology devices will not appear on the network at all on this one particular machine, while only some PCs will. Reboots will have no effect. Interestingly enough, mapped network drives to those not appearing in explorer STILL WORK. In addition, if I enter the IP addresses of the affected machines into any browser I can browse to them!! It just seems that windows explorer will not show me these networked devices, but I can manually go to them. Happens in safe mode with networking as well.

Any idea what is broken?
    Last edited by ron spencer; 24th Feb 2017 at 13:36.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  2. eh video help forum?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Theodor View Post
    eh video help forum?
    In the computer sub forum eh? Good reading by you!
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using the standard Windows Firewall ? Network Discovery turned on ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am going to conjure up some sagely advice you once gave me. Just replace Sony et al with QNAP, Synology or whatevs. Or write your own network driver.

Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Let me check my calendar...August 2016. OK. No updates yet (or, more likely, no forum members in the know) as to when we might see a consumer oriented offering in the wild.

Feel free to chime in if I am wrong on this. I am eager to know.
    Why don't you email the usual suspects? i.e., Sony, Adobe, Corel, TMPGEnc, Cyberlink, etc. and see if you can find something under $1,000? Those are the ones "in the know" as you say (maybe you don't really care). I'm hoping you have scuba tanks to help you hold your breath for an authoring program for the consumer. General public could care less about authoring. And the producers of the software? They know people don't care, so there is no money in it.

Are you currently authoring anything? DVD, Bluray?

Perhaps you could write your own UHD authoring package and give it away as freeware?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am going to conjure up some sagely advice you once gave me. Just replace Sony et al with QNAP, Synology or whatevs. Or write your own network driver.

Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    Let me check my calendar...August 2016. OK. No updates yet (or, more likely, no forum members in the know) as to when we might see a consumer oriented offering in the wild.

Feel free to chime in if I am wrong on this. I am eager to know.
    Why don't you email the usual suspects? i.e., Sony, Adobe, Corel, TMPGEnc, Cyberlink, etc. and see if you can find something under $1,000? Those are the ones "in the know" as you say (maybe you don't really care). I'm hoping you have scuba tanks to help you hold your breath for an authoring program for the consumer. General public could care less about authoring. And the producers of the software? They know people don't care, so there is no money in it.

Are you currently authoring anything? DVD, Bluray?

Perhaps you could write your own UHD authoring package and give it away as freeware?
    Last I checked network drivers don't author UHD...Maybe that was your problem way back when. I'm hoping you solved it and have started authoring for Hollywood.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Are you using the standard Windows Firewall ? Network Discovery turned on ?
    Yes...I can see the services of the other PCs and NAS devices, just cannot browse them in explorer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did have some problems in windows explorer, like not re-connecting networkdrives. there always was a red cross on the networkshares.
    never find a solution, so now i make my networkshares through a batch file with net use:

@echo off
    REM **MAP DRIVE X: ON STARTUP**
    REM delay execution for 10 seconds (wait for networking to load)
    REM see http://www.robvanderwoude.com/wait.php#PING for more info
    net use /persistent:no
    cls
    ping 127.0.0.1 -n 11 >NUl

REM disconnect all existing mapped drives
    net use * /delete /yes
    cls

REM map x: drive to \\server\share
    net use Z: \\servername\share
    cls
    net use Y: \\servername\share
    cls
    Maybe it can help with your problems as well
    put this in name.cmd, and put it in the users startmenu startup folder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jan5678 That is cool! I may try that!! It is so bizarre that I can create network shares and access network devices via direct IP usage, but Windows explorer seems to be crapping out and not finding anything.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Same oddity here,but it became no problem as soon as I realized I can type it into that explorer's command line, like: \\name_of_the_server
    or using browser and IP works as well like you do
    Quote Quote  
  11. Here's the fix for windows red X on network drives. This will also speedup file transfers on a Gigabit network

Add to batch file
    Run batch file as an admin

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
    netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
    netsh interface tcp set global chimney=disabled
    netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stiltman View Post
    Here's the fix for windows red X on network drives. This will also speedup file transfers on a Gigabit network

Add to batch file
    Run batch file as an admin

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
    netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
    netsh interface tcp set global chimney=disabled
    netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

Is this to run at start up or as need? rss=enabled is more efficient though...
    Last edited by ron spencer; 24th Feb 2017 at 21:48.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You just need to run it one time. The settings are saved. I have been running this script on all Windows computer since Win7 came out. On clients and on servers
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You are on the same Domain/Workgroup as the other network devices? Everything spelt correctly? (Wouldn't be the first time I did this!)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What TimA-C said. Also check if WINS on the Windows PC is pointing to the same WINS server as the other devices on your network. Typically, WINS server is running on the router.
    Quote Quote