VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I using MP4box as an external muxer in Virtualdub. I has always worked, but I have a new pc now and after rebuilding Virtualdub's settings it doesn't work antmore.

Virtualdub doesn't produce an error. I see the files test.mp4, test.mp4.aac and test.mp4.264 being created in the destination folder, but at the end all 3 get deleted.
    I can't figure out what the problem is. I've added the Virtualdub log file as attachement.

Can somebody help me before I loose my mind?

Thanks.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Remove the "-quiet" from the mp4box command. Do tick "Interpret non-zero return code as error", "Redirect standard output to log" and "Redirect standard error to log" for all encoders/muxers. Maybe the log will me more helpful, then. Also export the external encoder settings (as .vdprof file) and attach them here. Try mp4box nightly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Remove the "-quiet" from the mp4box command. Do tick "Interpret non-zero return code as error", "Redirect standard output to log" and "Redirect standard error to log" for all encoders/muxers. Maybe the log will me more helpful, then. Also export the external encoder settings (as .vdprof file) and attach them here. Try mp4box nightly.
    Thanks for the reply.

I removed the -quiet command and ran another test... no dice.
    All the boxes were already ticked.
    I attached the external encoder settings and the log file of the last test.

I hope you can spot the problem.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ah, it's all in .bat files for some reason. I will take a closer look tonight if you don't have any success with the mp4box nightly until then.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Ah, it's all in .bat files for some reason. I will take a closer look tonight if you don't have any success with the mp4box nightly until then.
    Yeah, I've once set it up following a guide from some forum, could be this one.
    On my previous pc it worked perfectly, but on my new build I have this problem.

If you could guide me though a new setup, that would be great too.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I used your settings and bat files (only adjusted paths to use my own x264/neroaacenc/mp4box) and everything worked fine. Please test mp4box nightly like I suggested (you can use 7zip to unpack the gpac installer).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    I used your settings and bat files (only adjusted paths to use my own x264/neroaacenc/mp4box) and everything worked fine. Please test mp4box nightly like I suggested (you can use 7zip to unpack the gpac installer).
    I tried the nighty build, but still same problem... What the...

Could you share your x264/neroaacenc/mp4box encoders?
    If that doesn't work, it must be a Windows permission problem, maybe?
    Could that be the case?
    I'm using a portable version of Virtualdub, maybe it doesn't have permissions to create files?

edit: Tried the 32bit version... problem still there!
    When I use the -no audio profile, the output file get made, so the problem is either the audio encoder or the muxer.

edit: I've added a video to visualize the problem.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by wout25; 12th Oct 2020 at 16:35.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I've zipped my Virtualdub folder als moved in to my laptop.
    Extracted it and edited the paths to the external encoders in the bat files.

And... same problem!

Very strange because I originally copied the folder over from my previous pc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Can you run mp4box at all from the cmd?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Can you run mp4box at all from the cmd?
    Ok, so I made an .aac file and a .mp4 (video) file separately of the same clip.
    Put them in a folder with the mp4box.exe and opened a command box there.

First I ran mp4box.exe -? and it warned me I was missing some .dll file.
    I put all the .dll files from the extracted gpac folder in the work folder.

and... BINGO!!!

I was missing some .dll file(s)... I guess the system never complained because I'm using these .bat files.
    But how it is possible that copying the Virtualdub folder from my old pc to my new one, is still a mystery.
    Maybe you have to run mp4box.exe manually once so all the .dll files on which it depends, get registered in the system.

I learned a lot these past 2 days, it's only a shame it'll probably cost me a week of my life.

Thank you for your willingness to help me out.
    Always nice to see friendly community members.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by wout25 View Post
    But how it is possible that copying the Virtualdub folder from my old pc to my new one, is still a mystery.
    Because the missing dlls were in e.g. the system (SysWOW64) folder on your old pc.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Originally Posted by wout25 View Post
    Because the missing dlls were in e.g. the system (SysWOW64) folder on your old pc.
    These dll's get there by installing gpac, right?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I don't know which dependencies your older mp4box had, exactly. It might have been Microsoft Visual C++ runtimes or similar not provided by GPAC.
    Quote Quote