VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I run a Music video system for an entertainment company (Parties).
    We video tape people lip syncing to music in front of a Blue screen (chroma key).
    This is recorded onto 4 vcr's and two dvd's. The dvd is used for a master - we use two in case one corrupts.

After each song (about 3 minutes) we hand out a video tape copy to each
    person in the video. The dvd master is handed out at the end of the night to the hosts.
    The reason that I don't use all dvd's is that it takes at least 5 minutes to finalize each dvd - due to the small amount of info recorded on it.
    I have to keep things moving in order to get as many guests as possible to participate in their own video.

Does anyone know if there are any new DVD recorders that finalize really fast, or don't need finalizing at all?

Thanks for your help.

LJ
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No.
    DVD+RW does not need a finalize, but it's only about 60% compatible and costs far more than DVD+R or DVD-R.

In a business, you want to do DVD-R, and then just deal with the wait times. Maybe invest in 2-3 recorders that you can switch around in a bank, and then one is recording new content while the other is finalizing.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. I found that the JVC unit with the built in vcr can finalize a dvd in about 2 minutes compared to my JVC DR-M10 which takes 4-5 minutes. I know you might not need the vcr portion of the unit but the recorder side does a great job and it finalizes quickly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info.

LJ
    Quote Quote  
  5. The Panasonic DMR-E85H finalizes in about 2 minutes.
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've found the Pioneer DVR-220 to finalize in about a minute.
    Quote Quote  
  7. For all of those that reply about time that it takes to finalize.... There is difference in timing when DVD is almost full and if it has only 3 minutes of recordings, which is lounova's case.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect finalization speed depends on the record speed of the DVD-RW.
    I notice my Pioneer 220 takes 2-4 times longer to finalize a 1X disk than a 4x disk.
    Quote Quote