VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all.

I have some old DVDs which have .VOB video files on them.

I want to copy them to my external hard drive which I generally use to playback content on my smart TV. (Most videos on this drive are MP4/Mkv and some Mpegs also).

I want to know if I should just change the .VOB extension to .mpeg for playback on my TV or should I use proper format conversion? I heard that .VOB are same as .mpeg.

Thanks for guidance.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VOB files are a specific superset form (fork?) of MPEG-PS. Not identical (you are not normally allowed to have lpcm audio in mpeg, but can in vob, for example).

Do not convert, just remux/rewrap. Try vob2mpg.

If you must, very often you CAN get away with just renaming the extension (but as mentioned, some things might not work right).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much for reply. There is a little problem.

The old DVDs are worn out and not all .VOB files are fully readable. So I have copied the readable ones to my hard drive. I have then also copied the folders Video_TS and Audio_TS with all the files except the unreadable .VOB files. The software is not recognizing it. Please advise.

Also the software has suddenly vanished from Program menu after once opening and closing.

Also, I wanted to purchase the Pro version but my country is not listed in credit cards input. Any advice?

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not good, as titles are often split into multiple vobs as they have a 1GB limit. Iow you could have main movie encompassing VTS_01_01, ...02, ...03, ...04, ...05. If e.g. 02 and 04 are bad that breaks your movie into 3 disconnected and highly incomplete parts.

Iiwy, I would re-rip using multiple tools & drives to arrive at complete clean copies (diff drives, apps can read with diff error correction methods).
    Using background decryption (anydvd, etc), try managed copy in isobuster.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cornucopia, Thanks again for the advice. I will try the software you have mentioned and let you know although I am not quite well versed with their use.

Eltina, actually I am playing it back on TV through a multimedia device, not direct on TV as its an old one and doesnt support hard drives.

I will post my results in some time for you to advise.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For basic playback from Windows 10 to my LG TV, for the odd standalone vob's I had (a few music videos mostly)
    I simply renamed the vob to mpg then cast to the TV. But it your case, if it's part of a movie it
    doesn't really help
    Quote Quote