VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey people I have heaps of Sony Digital 8 Video tapes (PAL) that I want to record onto Blu-Ray discs. I capture the Digital 8 video onto my computer using Fire-Wire ( i-Link 1394) but when I export them to the Blu-Ray disc the video bitrate is only arround 10Mbs. and the picture looks worse then a normal DVD.

I don't expect my Digital 8's to be upscaled to HD because the source video is SD but what I'm trying to do is utilise the capacity of Blu-Ray recording. Digital 8 video bitrate is 25Mbs uncompressed and Blu-rays are up around 48Mbs so can I record 25Mbs uncompressed SD video on a Blu-ray disc?

Thank You.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There probably isn't enough detail or resolution to use the full bitrate capacity available. Once the encoder uses all it needs, it will stop adding more.

That said, you give absolutely no details on how you are encoding the video, with what software and codec etc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if it's only 10mbps,why not go for avchd? those look good on a blu-ray player/ps3. especially the ones ripped from blu-ray source.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    There probably isn't enough detail or resolution to use the full bitrate capacity available. Once the encoder uses all it needs, it will stop adding more.

That said, you give absolutely no details on how you are encoding the video, with what software and codec etc.
    well I don't know what codec the program uses. The program is Sony VAIO content exporter BD. you open the program and import the avi file then you can output to DVD or Blu-Ray.
    There is no advanced settings that I can change. I would just like to know if what that program is doing is the best I can do with the videos I have? I would like to know if I can make a BD-R with a better bitrate then 10Mbps, if I can I will buy a better more professional program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For your footage, 10 mbps, especially if you encode with AVCHD, is easily enough. I suspect your quality problem comes from trying to upscale such a low resolution source to HD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote