VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    while playing a video in mp4 or webm format, using mpv, pressing the left arrow key to move backward 10 seconds get inconsistent behavior. sometimes it moves backwards more or less than 20 seconds. sometimes it gets stuck at a particular place and jumps back and forth as i hold the key down to repeat. i'm guessing that mpv is guessing where the frame for that time is and sometimes getting confused with the contents. the down arrow key should move back 1 minute and it is almost as bad if i use it slow. but, if i hold it down to repeat i can get past some of those places that block the 10 second backwards.

is this a known problem? a bug? a feature i don't understand?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    while playing a video in mp4 or webm format, using mpv, pressing the left arrow key to move backward 10 seconds get inconsistent behavior. sometimes it moves backwards more or less than 20 seconds. sometimes it gets stuck at a particular place and jumps back and forth as i hold the key down to repeat. i'm guessing that mpv is guessing where the frame for that time is and sometimes getting confused with the contents. the down arrow key should move back 1 minute and it is almost as bad if i use it slow. but, if i hold it down to repeat i can get past some of those places that block the 10 second backwards.

try reading under OPTIONS - playback control - https://mpv.io/manual/master/#linux-desktop-issues
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use mpv in MX Linux but not in its stand alone form, my default is SMPlayer which uses mpv as the backend. I sometimes use celluloid, which also uses mpv, but not often.

You could try setting the seeking to relative instead of precise, I find that works better anyway. That will go to the nearest key frame to the 10 sec or whatever point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe it's the version of mpv? Buttons of v0.34.1 on Debian work flawlessly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post

try reading under OPTIONS - playback control - https://mpv.io/manual/master/#linux-desktop-issues
    there are a ton of options there. they look like command line options. --play-dir= looks interesting but i don't see anything under it that matches what i am seeing happen.

i can understand, as it describes, that moving backwards is a mess and would require some complex implementation to make it better. but what i am seeing is inconsistency where it does different things at different times. once a single press to go backward about one minute went over 2 hours back to the very beginning. it has not happened, again, on that very same video.

do video contain commands of what to do for certain button presses.

it's like the implementation gets random numbers to adjust what it does but i am sure that is not the case.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    Maybe it's the version of mpv? Buttons of v0.34.1 on Debian work flawlessly.
    i have 0.32.0 on Xubuntu 20.04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not familiar with Xubuntu. Googling a newer version for your OS might help.
    Or visit mpv website.
    Quote Quote