VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am debating purchasing an HDTV to connect to my PC. I was lookin for some advice on what brand or even model to get (i'm looking in the 35-50 in range), but I was also wondering about some logistics.

My computer is running on a 2.00 GHz intel core duo processor, 3GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA 8800 GT video card. I have 2 monitors hooked up to it atm, a 22" acer and a 17" in dell. I would obviously be ditching the 17 in monitor for the tv (unless there's a way to hook up all 3 haha).

With my current specs I can run most 1080p files with only slight problems (I do have some, not sure what the cause is). I want to make sure that my computer will be able to handle the upgrade to an HDTV. And if I can't run 1080p movies on the TV, will 720p look good? Do the files still look crisp and clear when they're blown up so large?

Also, will I be able to play computer games on the TV? that one is just wishful thinking

Thank you to anybody who can answer these questions.

Cheers,
    GVN
    Quote Quote  
  2. The PC simply outputs video, it does not know or care what device is displaying the video. No additional strain on the CPU or card, output is output. Resolutions available on the display device the only concern here. There is nothing for the computer to "handle".

Whether the files will look good on the larger monitor depends on the individual file.

HDCP is a concern for Blu-Ray.

You will probably need a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Component is a waste of time on most models.

As for video games, Hell Yes. Again, output is output.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have a Nvidia 8600 GT hooked up to a 20" Viewsonic monitor (DVI->DVI) and a 46" Samsung LNT-4665 (DVI->HDMI). I run the desktop in Clone mode (both displays showing the same desktop) with the desktop at 1920x1080. The Samsung gives 1:1 pixel mapping at that resolution so I see every pixel of the desktop and text is perfectly clear. The Viewsonic display is natively 1680x1050 and in mirror mode it acts as a window that scrolls around the 1920x1080 desktop (following the mouse). This way it also gets 1:1 pixel mapping and is perfectly clear.

Obviously, 1080p material looks great with this setup. 720p material blown up to 1920x1080 still looks very good. Even 720x480 DVDs looks decent, about as good as an upscaling DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the help! any suggestions on what brand to get? or a place to get them cheap? I was planning on best buy but I know the internet usually has better deals
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LCD: Samsung, Sony, Sharp

Plasma: Pioneer, Panasonic, Samsung, Vizio

Taking Samsung as an example, they have Level 3 to Level 7 for image processor quality.

At 42-50" they have

Level 5 in 1366x768p or 1920x1080p 60Hz
    Level 6 in 1920x1080p 120Hz
    Level 7 in 1820x1080p advanced 120Hz and USB2 in.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks so much for all the help! just wondering, I was thinking of heading to Best Buy tomorrow to pick somethin up, would I be better off shopping online?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Prices at brick and mortar stores and online vary wildly from day to day for no apparent reason. You should decide on which model(s) you want then watch prices for a month. You may find that a particular TV varies from $1500 to to $2500 over that period of time.

People do seem to be happy with Amazon.com's free "white glove" delivery service and no questions asked return policy. I believe they'll even pay for return shipping. I wouldn't write them off just because you're more comfortable with buying locally.

Costco and Sam's Club are good options too -- if they have the TV you want.

Be careful about manufacturer's dead pixel policies. If you don't want a TV with a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen return it. Don't mention why, just say you're not happy with the TV. If you say it's because of a dead pixel you won't be allowed to return the TV. Dead pixels are not considered a defect until there are a number of them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help. Picked up a pretty nice phillips 52" LCD for only $1377 (on sale from $2999). It looked very nice so hopefully I'll be satisfied (though I think for that price it is impossible not to be)
    Quote Quote