VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have some old AVI files that are playing video but not the audio sound. The newer AVI files I took with my new camera are playing both video and sound.
    I tried playing the old AVI files with Windows Media Player, VLC ... without success.
    In GSpot and MediaInfo, the codec used for audio is PCM for both old and new AVI files.
    Could you please help me resolve this issue?

Thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
  2. Post the MediaInfo log and a sample. Can ffmpeg convert the audio to something else?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your help.
    I've just uploaded the MediaInfo Log.
    The ffmpeg isn't actually working on my Windows 10 PC: I ran the "ffmpeg.exe" but nothing opens on the screen.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sample? ffmpeg is a command-line utility, you cannot just double-click it.

P.S.: Usually, when people ask for a MediaInfo log they ask for a more human-readable version of it. (Start MediaInfo. "Debug"->"Details - 0". Then open the file.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Please find attached a sample called "DSCF0004.AVI", as well as the MediaInfo log with debug Level 0.

As advised, I converted the file to .wav and .mov format but still didn't hear any sound in the converted file.

Thanks again for your help.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. The audio seems empty (all bits are 0). There's nothing to play.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry to bother you again but how were you able to see that all bits are 0. In which log because I can't see it in the MediaInfo one?

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  8. I extracted the audio track using AVI Mux GUI and viewed it in a hex editor.
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK thanks. I will try to do the same with the other working avi videos in order to compare.
    Quote Quote