VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, We still are making SD DVDs for our customers experience It's crazy but people still requesting it.

We are making the switch from Mac to PC (not my choice). I am trying to configure hardware to maximize encoding MPEG2 for DVDs from H.264 video. We currently are using Compressor and it's built in server farm feature to rip though the encoding with decent time. About 15min of footage and it take between 7-5mins to encode. They expect the PC setup will need to at least meet or exceed that of our Mac setup.

What software is the current recommendation for encoding (company has a policy against open source software)
    What is the best PC configuration to maximize said mpeg encoding with the software recommended?
    And I will still need to burn the SD disc with the HD files on it. I know Toast can do this, is there a PC equivalent with the same feature?

I know AME uses Video card GDU, but i found that AME can not encode mpeg2. We are leaning towards Squeeze or Total Code studio and buying into a Xeon HP workstation, but I am afraid I am buying a NSX when I just need a Civic.

Any suggestion is welcome!
    Quote Quote  
  2. PCs are generally about 33% less costly than Macs for the same power. So you should be fine.
    AME can certainly encode MPEG-2.
    Are you saying you want to burn HD data files on a DVD? Most burning and authoring software will do that. Many of us here recommend imgburn -- but it is open source.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    PCs are generally about 33% less costly than Macs for the same power. So you should be fine. AME can certainly encode MPEG-2. Are you saying you want to burn HD data files on a DVD? Most burning and authoring software will do that. Many of us here recommend imgburn -- but it is open source.
    I tested AME to encoding Mpeg and I could not not find the output setting. I did find the Mpeg-DVD export in Premiere, but that took much longer to encode around 9 minutes vs. my 5 minute mark. I was testing on an i7 laptop with 16gb of memory.

I should say time is a bit of a factor as we do not want to increase our wait times.

As for the burning yes, I am including 4x HD H.264 files that were recorded during the experience. I was thinking Roxio as they are same makers of Toast and I am assuming they will have the same feature.
    Last edited by Zenergy; 6th Oct 2016 at 08:55. Reason: add to my post
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Zenergy View Post
    Yes, We still are making SD DVDs for our customers experience It's crazy but people still requesting it.
    I don't think it's crazy, I do it all the time, too.

What software is the current recommendation for encoding (company has a policy against open source software)
    While I don't understand why it has to be commercial software, there you go: For encoding I recommend CCE SP3.
    However (!): By "encoding" I really mean just that, encoding. Do not use it for downscaling to DVD res. For that, if you care about quality, use AviSynth to frameserve and resize from the source file into a ready for encoding video to CCE.

About 15min of footage and it take between 7-5mins to encode. They expect the PC setup will need to at least meet or exceed that of our Mac setup.
    With a fast CPU and 3 passes maximum in CCE, this requirement can be met imo.

What is the best PC configuration to maximize said mpeg encoding with the software recommended?
    Fast CPU, decent RAM (8 GB should be more than enough) and an OS with no unnecessary crap installed.
    Really, any good consumer PC will do it. No need for a fancy workstation.

And I will still need to burn the SD disc with the HD files on it. I know Toast can do this, is there a PC equivalent with the same feature?
    ImgBurn let's you add data stuff to the disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    We are leaning towards Squeeze or Total Code studio and buying into a Xeon HP workstation, but I am afraid I am buying a NSX when I just need a Civic.
    Found this video interesting. Of course the results could be completely different for SD than for their HD/UHD tests, and will also vary with the software encoder and precise workflow.

Quote Quote