VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The Xeon E3-1230 is quite similar to the I7-2600 cpu but doesn't have the integrated graphics feature and the Xeon sells for about $50-70 less then the I7-2600. And about $20 more then the I5-2500...

The Xeon is a quadcore like the I5 & I7 but like the I7 supports hyperthreading...

Can anyone recommend a good desktop mobo for this cpu? I don't want to purchase a server board as most server mobos require ECC memory...

Xeon E3-1230
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115083&Tpk=xeon%20e3-1230

I5-2500
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115073

I7-2600
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115071

This is to be used for 3D rendering and the 3D apps I use much prefer a Nvidia card over ATI or Intel integrated graphics because of CUDA support...

Thanks kindly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    since it's an 1155 cpu any p67 motherboard will work. what you do miss out on is the overclocking of the 3.4ghz 2600k, as most of them easily o/c past 4.0ghz without any problem.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Get the 2600k for $10 more,i'm oc 4.1 ghz with a custom fan,plus its faster at stock speed anyways.

This is the mb i'm using cause it has enough pci-e slots after putting in a 2 slot video card.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130571
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Kindly check my links above. The I7-2600K is about $70 more then the Xeon E3-1230.... And I'm not really interested in overclocking as the E3-1230 or I7-2600 will be a drastic improvement over my AMD X3 710 when it comes to 3D rendering....

Cheers

Ken
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i went with this p67 for my 2600k - for the 10 sata ports, ieee1394, usb3, ide, and floppy.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157240
    --
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What's a floppy?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    What's a floppy?
    Surely you are joking. You couldn't be so young that you have never used a 3 1/2 inch floppy diskette, or had a PC with an internal floppy drive (which uses the floppy drive connector on the motherboard as well as a floppy drive power connector.) Internal floppy drives were standard equipment on every PC up until about 10 years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    What's a floppy?
    Surely you are joking. You couldn't be so young that you have never used a 3 1/2 inch floppy diskette, or had a PC with an internal floppy drive (which uses the floppy drive connector on the motherboard as well as a floppy drive power connector.) Internal floppy drives were standard equipment on every PC up until about 10 years ago.
    Was kidding,i hated floppy disks cause they were so unreliable,glad they went obsolete.I remember using 5 1/4 inch floppy for my commodore 64.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i went with this p67 for my 2600k - for the 10 sata ports, ieee1394, usb3, ide, and floppy.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157240
    Looks like ASRock may be the new leader in motherboard manufacturers. The only thing keeping me from building a new PC (besides money) is MB offerings. I don't mind that they did away IDE and FDD (though I'd prefer both) but if they are going to stop supplying those ports then they need to replace the IDE with extra SATA to take the place of my IDE drives. A 4, 6 or even 8 SATA motherboard would be useless to me (although an 8 SATA with two e-SATA might work).

I wish Gigabyte offered a 10 SATA MB. My GA-EP35-DS3P has 6 SATA, 2 G-SATA an IDE and FDD, holding 2 IDE DVD burners, 1 floppy, one 160GB Boot drive, six 1TB SATA drives, 1 e-SATA in the back and I have a SATA 6.0 card to supply an e-SATA connector built into the case and a SATA dock built into the case.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well, if you have any interest in emulating PS2 and GC/Wii games on your PC at all,
    you really need to opt for the Overclockable, i-core, sandy bridge CPU, and Overclock it to 4 GHz.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    What's a floppy?
    Was kidding,i hated floppy disks cause they were so unreliable,glad they went obsolete.I remember using 5 1/4 inch floppy for my commodore 64.

hehe. i didn't say i was putting one in, i always despised the things. they all seemed to have their heads aligned wrong so no other floppy drive could read anything...
    --
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    What's a floppy?
    Ha! I used 8", 5.25", 3.5" and a oddball 3" that never caught on floppy drives and disks. Single sided and double sided, high density etc.

I just bought two USB floppy drives last month. One for my use and one for my Brothers use. I'm going to have to get a hold of a older computer that I can put the 1.2Meg 5.25" floppy drive in to see what is on those boxes of disks in the basement.

Once I upgraded both computers to I7 no floppy ports, no Parallel ports. Had to buy a PCI parallel port that had Win7 64 drivers for his old printer he won't give up.

Nice machines SSD Boot drives I7 etc. Things you never think of like no floppy port or parallel port come and bite ya.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote