VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All

I am using a Pioneer 106 and recently I seem to be having problems with it as Nero and RecordNow Max would not pick up the writer but Windows XP sees the drive as a 106 in device manager.

I have to delete from device manager and reinstall before it works and sometimes I have to do the reinstallation 3-4 times.

I have updated the firmware to 1.7 now...but I am curious as to what the problem is? Is it XP? Is it the drive...on its way out already?

My specs....

K7S5A Motherboard
    512 MB RAM
    40 Gig HDD
    Soundblaster Live
    Radeon 7500
    Pioneer 106
    Quote Quote  
  2. uninstall NERO and reinstall it again.
    also make sure that you have nero 6.0.0.15.
    thats the newest version i think.
    the only problem youll have with that version is the overburn bug,files even 1meg over what nero thinks you should burn are rejected as "the media does not contain enough space.insert a media with enough space."
    but theres a patch out for that.
    and just get rid of recordnowmax,as its rubbish altogther.
    the problem seems to be certain programmes delete or start to use bits of others.
    i had a problem like that with nero and got rid of recordnow,and it was fine.
    my drive was recognised,and burning wasnt a problem any more.

not too sure about the 1.07 firmware though,but i beleive that its not that great an improvement over 1.06.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks for the reply...

I have reinstalled Nero many times. I mean the drive seems o.k for now...most likely its some driver issue....probably Win XP...I am not a fan of it!!!

I'll see how it goes...before trying other things!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had no end of problems with just about everything, then I junked the K7S5A and bought a different motherboard. Everything has worked perfectly since. That board is well known for numerous different problems, losing bios data, being very picky on power supplies, locking up, not liking some brands of ram, overheating, etc. The original version got rave reviews for most performance for your money and was on the AMD list of approved motherboards but when they bought out the later, XP processor compatible version, it was deleted.

I know some people have used them and reckon it is a good board, but an awful lot have had all sorts of problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use the Nero InfoTool see if it picks up the drive correctly. I think u might need to install an ASPI Layer. Good Luck!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Richard_G
    I had no end of problems with just about everything, then I junked the K7S5A and bought a different motherboard. Everything has worked perfectly since. That board is well known for numerous different problems, losing bios data, being very picky on power supplies, locking up, not liking some brands of ram, overheating, etc. The original version got rave reviews for most performance for your money and was on the AMD list of approved motherboards but when they bought out the later, XP processor compatible version, it was deleted.

I know some people have used them and reckon it is a good board, but an awful lot have had all sorts of problems.
    I am with you on this one....as my first K7S5A board was absolutely useless..could not even install the OS. However after many months of fiddling I gave the board back and got an updated version of K7S5A which has been very good. I used to use Win2k....and it was stable as rock...however since I have gone to XP...I get apps closing with errors much more than I had in Win2K...

I am pretty sure XP is not making things easier for me...

But for now it seems to be o.k...I'll try updating XP to the lastest service pack...

Thanks all!!
    Quote Quote