VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have used FFMPEG and MKVTOOLNIX before but I know how to do the basics, cutting, muxing and extracting specific tracks or subtitles. What I want to do now is a bit different.

I have one MKV file that has a video and audio track at 29.997 fps and I have a second MKV file that has a video and audio track at 23.847 fps. I want to keep the video and audio on the first MKV file with higher fps and mux the audio only from the second MKV file.

But how can I go about doing this? Do I have to increase the fps of the second MKV file first?

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -r 23.874 -i seeing_secondMKV.mkv -r 29.997 secondMKVFPS.mkv
    Or should I extract the audio and only increase it's fps? Or how?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Usually there is no speed difference between audio from a 23.976 fps source and audio from 29.97 fps source (conversion between them is done by telecine/inverse telecine). So first I would try to simply mux the 2 together and see if the output is sync. If it isn't try to find out if the sync gets progressively worse throughout the file or if there is a constant delay.

ffmpeg:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i "file_0.mkv" -i "file_1.mkv" -map 0 -map 1:a -c copy "output.mkv"
    or mkvmerge:
    Code:
    mkvmerge -o "output.mkv" "file_0.mkv" --no-video "file_1.mkv"

The problem is we can't predict from these fps values how/if we need to convert between them to make them fit. For example the sources might be different cuts (cinema, director's cut, censored) and require more intricate solutions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Usually there is no speed difference between audio from 23.976 and audio from 29.97 fps audio (conversion between them is done by telecine/inverse telecin). So first I would try to simply mux the 2 together and see if the files are still in sync. If they aren't try to find out if the speed gets progressively worse throughout the file or if there is a constant delay.

ffmpeg:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i "file_0.mkv" -i "file_1.mkv" -map 0 -map 1:a -c copy "output.mkv"
    or mkvmerge:
    Code:
    mkvmerge -o "output.mkv" "file_0.mkv" --no-video "file_1.mkv"
    The issue here is that I am getting two different audio durations. The difference is about a minute.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't care about duration. Is the audio sync with the video according to your eyes and ears?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    I don't care about duration. Is the audio sync with the video according to your eyes and ears?
    no, there is a sync issue.
    Quote Quote