VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Hi to everyone
    Simple question
    I need to protect subs in mkv (video+audio+subs) from extraction/demuxing,

Search Comp PM
    Not possible AFAIK
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851

3. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Not possible AFAIK
    Up to my today knowledge too.
    Thats why Im asking ))

Search Comp PM
    If you do a Google search, you will find several posts over the years asking the same question. On DOOM9 there was some discussion on encrypting the sub file if it was .ass format but then no one would be able to play it unless they had the key and once they had the key could then extract it. So really it is a fruitless quest. The MKV container is a very open format. You could ask of course on the MKV forum.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851

5. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    If you do a Google search, you will find several posts over the years asking the same question. On DOOM9 there was some discussion on encrypting the sub file if it was .ass format but then no one would be able to play it unless they had the key and once they had the key could then extract it. So really it is a fruitless quest. The MKV container is a very open format. You could ask of course on the MKV forum.
    Actually i did alot of search on this question. Mayby I need to rephrase my question -
    So - there is a group of translators who make very fast subs to fresh foreing tv shows. Im making mkv with their subs and then release files through torrent.
    How to protect subs from extracting ?
    So far I know only one way - to make hardsub first and then repack hardsub video to mkv. Im looking for more easy solution

6. But, in case of making hardsubs You came to question of re-ripping video, which always goes to losing video quality.

Search Comp PM
    I don't believe there is a way - a fruitless quest IMO. If it was possible and still maintain compatibility with all the various media players out there it would have been done already and there would be plenty of "how to" posts..

PS. Just noticed your reference to torrents - as this is an illegal operation and against the forum rules I can't offer any further suggestions.
    Last edited by netmask56; 28th Aug 2017 at 16:28. Reason: reference to torrents

8. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    PS. Just noticed your reference to torrents - as this is an illegal operation and against the forum rules I can't offer any further suggestions.
    In addition, he's taking subs worked on by a subbing group and freely distributed with the video and then trying to make sure no one else has access to them. Like they're his subs! My own opinion is he should be ashamed of himself and not receive any help even it it wasn't all about copyrighted videos.

9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing wrong mentioning torrent as long as it doesn't pertain to copyrighted video and games/apps.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

10. The whole point of MKV it to have an open container format that anybody can use. That means anybody can put things in it and take things out. If you want to protect your subs go create your own container with encryption and your own player with decryption.

11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread closed because there's nothing else to help the op,sub can't be encrypted and put in a mkv.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.